Subject Author Posted Replies

OTish - Toilet smell
We're getting a musty smell from the toilet and no amount of cleaning (bleach and toilet cleaner, and bleach blocks) will shift it. No signs of leaks, and I've replaced the seat and lid. It's been...
27
27

Oil on block paving
My friend has a block paved drive (the reddish interlocking blocks) and his son's car has had a oil leak which has soaked into the blocks over a period of years, he has tried all the normal cleaners...
5
5

OT More nuclear legacy.
Note who's paying for this lot. And still no permanent solution. New cutting and decontamination methods are being trialled to clear away old equipment more quickly and free space to store higher...
1
1

Some more reasons not to get a combi...
It's a Baxi 105e, so not the most elderly or the most recent out there, but I have no reason to suspect there's anything wrong with it. Turn on a hot tap, and it heats some water. Quite a lot of...
5
5

relative merits of constructional approaches to new fitted wardrobe
Hi all We have a fairly crude 70's style wardrobe fitted inside a large alcove in the 'master bedroom'. This needs replacing; I'd live to do it myself [*] but sufficient time & opportunity not being...
1
1

Electric Shavers
For a couple of years I have had a Philips AT890 Aquatouch wet and dry shaver. The other day, when shaking water off it, it went flying. Needs at least new heads - they are well shot - and I am not...
1
1

Other peoples views
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at work. The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery). The...
32
32

Removing Copper oxidation
Hi gang, I have some thick cables that need to be properly jointed. They're good for 300 Amps so pretty thick. Trouble is they were stored in a damp environmen t and have that black coating on the...
30
30

Lidl offer
They have a 18v Li-ion SDS drill next Thursday for 70 quid. Three year maker's warranty. Doesn't say if it has a rotation stop - I'd guess not. Uses hex drills plus an adaptor for non SDS which may be...
8
8

Question re life of alkaline batteries
I am about to replace the `d` batteries on my wireless alarm box (yale). I purchased fresh batteries that have a best before of 2019. The alarm states 2 years or more for the life of the batteries....
6
6

old plaster
Half an hour before the plasterer came, I took off the light switch and the plaster round the edge fell away. No problem, bit of thinned PVA, out with the old bag (nearly a year) of Wickes one coat...
1
1

OT will aussie spec mobile work in UK?
Seen a new mobile at good price on of all places. Even allowing for shipping it's still tempting but will it work ok here? It appears to have a slightly different manufacturer code. Are...
11
11

Replace outer skin of LCD/TFT screen
Hi - 22" TFT monitor with an ugly scratch in it. I don't think the polish & vaseline hacks will be enough. Like any TFT, the screen will be a sandwich assembly, with a thin plastic sheet outermost. If...
2
2

more renewable troubles. Pass me the extension cable..or an angle grinder?
Only recently, the offshore wind industry was seen as an opportunity to regenerate Germany's coast. But amid changing political attitudes and spiraling costs, several companies are struggling to...
32
32

Electronics assistance please
My experience of this group is that there's usually someone who can give an answer to really any query. I'm too not sure if I'll get that service with this one, but I'm sure some sort of help will be...
7
7