Subject Author Posted Replies

Digi Camera repair
Yesterday I spotted a digi camera on freegle, being given away as it fails to focus. I'm not short of digi cameras, but curiosity got the better of me, so I offered to take it and my offer was...
7
7

Anyone looking for a "doer-upper"?
The estate agents describe this house as requiring "a full programme of mod ernisation and refurbishment" with "mature gardens" which seems, to me, som ewhat euphemistic. "First Floor Landing With...
49
49

JG layflat pipe
Has anyone used this? Does it? My last experience of plastic pipe was some wretched Flo-Plast stuff that was like wrestling an anaconda.
4
4

Gridwatch Nuclear OP?..
Bit OT but the Nuke output has risen quite a bit of late. A station thats been off-line for sometime or a top secret new one somewhere?.. 9.24 GW thats more then the CCGT output at present!. Sure TNP...
2
2

Second best DIY accessory ever?
Had to take out a kitchen sink yesterday to replace a tap. As I was contemplating the misery of grovelling around on quarry tiles, I remembered that we treated our old greyhound to a "memory foam" dog...
16
16

Glyphosate kill delay
Does anyone know how long glyphosate takes to kill various weeds? E.g. elderberry bushes, dockins, brambles, bracken, grass? Don't want to waste money by spraying again if it's premature to do so.
27
27

OT- Dog training collar
Do any of you have experience with "Air spray" dog training collars? Mike
6
6

Quote vs estimate for roofing/building works
Hi, we need to have some roofing/building work done. (repair rather than new build). Most of them seem to advertise ?free estimates?. Being the cynical sor t I suspect this is so they can then charge...
6
6

Replace lock barrels with thumbscrews?
I'd prefer thumbscrews on the inside of my patio doors. Mainly because you can't use a key on the outside if there is still a key on the inside. Is it possible to fit thumbscrews to the existing, or...
28
28

Spot the oddity
The Project Gutenberg eBook of The First Airplane Diesel Engine: Packard Model DR-980 of 1928, by Robert B. Meyer.
9
9

OT - Proof of Child's Age
A football team that my 11year old grandson is hoping to join is requesting sight of his birth certificate. (It is in my safe) I am reluctant to send him with this as it contains irrelevant additional...
18
18

Using crimped bullet connectors for earth continuity
I'm guessing this is not kosher on the basis the connection can be quite easily pulled apart? Are there any regs on the subject? ( like there's NOT going to be!) ta.
28
28

3-phase: a thought-provoking recondite conundrum
hi all, I finally got my 3 phase lathe working off a phase converter and as some of you warned me, the motor initially turned in the wrong direction. Now I know all I have to do to correct this is...
18
18

PIR security light/camera. Anyone using something like this?
Following a very disturbing occurrence last Friday evening the police have recommended that I put up pir cameras at access points. They suggested kit as in the link above. Apparently the constabulary...
9
9

Plant hire insurance
Anyone know where to get short term (few days) hire cover against (mostly) theft? I want to hire a mini digger + dumper and whilst the hire is cheap over the weekend, the plant cost is horrendous if...
25
25