Subject Author Posted Replies

I want an ethernet cable reel
...ie, one of those pass-through wind-up reels that you can readily obtain for mains cable extensions, TV coax, phone cables - in fact pretty much any form of cable except CAT5E as far as I can see!...
17
17

Chainsaw sharpening
I've got myself a shot of the neighboring farmer's chainsaw (actually he has several) to cut a couple of my trees down. However I've volunteered to sharpen them in future to save him the routine cost...
5
5

How to join rainwater pipe to rainwater pipe cut off at ground level.
Hi All, Some time ago I removed a short section of rainwater pipe (approx 8-10 inch es) in order to fit a retrofit plastic above ground grid thingy. I may hav e to reverse this in order to make our...
1
1

Draining CH
I've got plasterers in over the next couple of weeks, so the radiators will need to be moved. I'm quite happy to do this, having read the instructions on draining the boiler (an Ideal Logic combi),...
2
2

Screwfix finally fix their website a bit
You can now click on the path to traverse back up the hierarchy of categories. I found this one of the most annoying bugs. Finding an item from a search, and then not being able to look at the rest of...
4
4

Screwing into concrete
Have heard about screws that you drill a pilot hole and screw directly into a concrete floor - no raw plug so ideal for fixing floor boarding, skirting and the like. But I can not find them in either...
13
13

Living without electricity
This is not really a serious question, but your thoughts will be interesting. Vaguely house hunting, as you do, we came across a lovely 4 bed cottage, a mile away from the nearest small town. The...
114
114

Re: To the American engineering industry in general and to Mr. Briggs & Mr. Stratton in particular.
Well yes the engine was built in Cologne. It's based on something within human experience scaled to the dimensions of a man. It's about a yard. Where metric goes wrong is the choice of ten instead of...
27
27

OT What is the UKs biggest town
Either by population or by area. I just had a 50 bet with someone that it is not Huddersfield.
47
47

Car body shop.
I've asked on more appropriate groups, but not had much success. I'm after a decent body shop in the SE - more specifically the SW London area, but I'll happily travel for better value. Place I did...
1
1

Peeling paint
I have a ceiling with some mild peeling of the paint, and SWMBO has ordered me to cure it. Is it a good idea to stick small undetached peels back against the ceiling with a touch of paint?
3
3

Things to consider when buying a new up and over garage door?
I'm in Milton Keynes. I need a new up and over door and mechanism renewing to a standard garage, plus the timber each side, which have rotted away at the bottom. What things do I need to consider when...
3
3

Heat Loss
I have at long last decided to do something about insulating the 2 ft thick rubble filled stone walls of my house and sought advice from the Wiki on what had previously proved a stumbling block in...
23
23

Instructions for Spray Can
Would anyone know of any simple written instructions available for someone intending to spray metalic paint on to an item using motor vehicle spray cans please. Thanks.
12
12

Recommend me a high litres per minute compressor for £500
Work spent £500 on a compressor for me, it can only deliver two tanks of air at a time, before it gets too hot and the thermal cutout switches it of f. The compressor will only be used about a month...
6
6