Subject Author Posted Replies

Gravel ?
I want to make some of my garden maintence free. What size gravel should I use 10mm or 20mm ? I have heard that the 10mm is particually prone to letting weeds grow Jim G
15
15

Stuck gas adaptor
I had an unexpected caravan problem this weekend with a new clip-on gas adaptor like this The gas ran out, so I tried to release the fitting, but it was resistant to all attempts. I turned the knob to...
9
9

Confused.com
Details of insurance offered are very sketchy So what would/could be the reasons NOT to just accept the cheapest quote ?
9
9

suitable locks for a garage door
Hi, I have an up and over garage door with bog standard "locking mechanism" comprising of a small key lock and two side metal bars. I'm conscious of how poor the secutity of the locking mechanism is....
3
3

my stihl fs36 strimmer wont run. No fuel coming into chamber. Will carb kit fix?
Hi, I have a Stihl FS36 strimmer that will not start. She was running away fine but difficult to start then couldn't get her to start. Took apart carburettor and cleaned and eventually found out there...
11
11

paint - water / spirit based
I was going to use spirit/oil based paint to paint the bedroom, and started with an undercoat/primer of such a formulation. I have one coat on some of the woodwork. However, I am concerned about the...
10
10

door security
I think what I'm looking for is an "anti jemmy strip" i.e. something to prevent an outwards opening door from being attacked with a crowbar. I'm thinking a 2" flat strip bolted to the opening door,...
7
7

Is this a doable booster pump bodge?
We've a booster pump near the hot water tank that boosts the hot water pressure on demand. It works well as long as you realise that you have to turn the mixer to hot first (because if you try to turn...
12
12

Brass Pendant Lampholders
Have been looking for some pendant lampholders which don't go brittle and fall apart! I was going to go for brass, but haven't managed to find any, I can find brass lampholders suitable for fitting to...
5
5

Depth of Gas Pipe
Was digging a trench across the front lawn yesterday and came across the iron gas supply pipe. It was only buried about 200mm deep. Are there any standards specifying depth for something like gas? I...
8
8

Climate Change IPCC Prof on R4 today 09.00
"The Life Scientific", on this morning at 09.00 (after the news) on R4 is talking to an atmospheric science Prof who sits on the IPCC. Might be interesting to see what a proper scientist has to say.
36
36

Builders and Reliability!
Got a builder whos done from work for us in the past. To be fair, he does a good job, and hes a nice guy but hes unreliable. And hes the most disorganised person I've ever seen - he just seems to turn...
18
18

Porches on Victorian terraces
Have you put a porch on the front of your victorian terraced house? If so, what the absolute fuck were you thinking?? They look vile, serve no earthly purpose except to turn the entrance to your home...
16
16

Re: Mystery SMPS IC Follow Up
In response to my original question some kind person sent me a link to the TDA4601 9 pin smps chip, sorry I didn't note who. But thanks you for that - in the application notes for that chip was a...
7
7

Cleaning silk
I have a small stain on a silk tie. A lot of US-based websites suggest using "alcohol" to help clean it, but to me that means anything from Muscadet to methylated spirits. Any better/more precise...
6
6