Subject Author Posted Replies

Chimney corbeling / slope
Hi All, As part of my brick BBQ, I need to construct the chimney which needs to slope in front, back and both sides. I was originally going to construct this bit out of metal and clad with cement...
2
2

Low voltage plug/socket for underwater in pond
I want some simple plugs and sockets suitable for connecting 12 volt pumps in a pond. The pumps always come with rather short wires and so, at present, I have to solder longer wires on and carefully...
47
47

Even harder than drilling granite
Getting any sense out of Rod Speed
35
35

SOT: renaming memory stick
One of my memory sticks keeps coming up as USB Drive (K:) : I tried renaming it as TOSHIBA but the name immediately reverts. I reformatted giving the name as TOSHIBA but it came up as USB Drive (K:)....
6
6

OT: Despondent man makes discovery (see what I did there) that Land Rovers aren't amphibious
<> The driver and family were dealt with by the Lifeboat crew late on Thursday night

Timber v Celotex
I am in the process of dividing the man cave from the rest of the garage, this involves a studded wall across the back end of the garage. All the walls floor and ceiling are going to be insulated with...
1
1

Brick 85 degree squint corner - how to do it better on Monday please?
The brick corner of my new back porch is 85 degrees. I used a technique called squint, but it looks a bit accidental, is there a better way I can do it? how can I build this better on Monday ? how can...
10
10

Mildew resistant tape
I see this is being sold on the 7day shop website. I've never heard of it. Has anyone used it ? Amtech Roll of Waterproof and Mildew-Resistant Tape (4m x 30mm) - W8245 - Household Solutions - This...

Home owners manual
As suggested elsewhere, it can be useful to have a place to document how your house works and how to look after it, so that you can pass information onto future owners, or your significant others if...
30
30

Drilling masonry -- a general point
The hammer action of an SDS drill has to interact with the mass of the bit or chisel. Essentially, the bit needs to bounce back from the impact with the work so that it arrives at the percussive...
1
1

Making complex structure from cement board
Hi all As part of my BBQ project, I need to create a chimney hood for the top which needs to have sloping sides and front to reduce the top area to the chimney diameter (1980x820 to 200mm diameter)....
6
6

OT: Half of France's nuclear reactors out of commission for repair and maintenance
news at a time when electricity supplies throughout Europe are under increased pressure due to energy shortages as we emerge from Covid and as a result of the Ukraine war and sanctions on Russia.
49
49

Bathroom/kitchen taps & black mould
No matter what I do, I notice that after a few days (especially in the rarely used cloakroom) the cold taps build up a black gunge that nothing seems to prevent or dissolve. I'm guessing it's a mould...
5
5

IKEA-style cam locks
I am designing a large floor-mounted cabinet. Having recently assembled two large IKEA wardrobes using their cam lock system. It was far more successful than I thought it might turn out that I plan to...
7
7

Amazon Csrd Servuces scam
I've just received a phone call alleging to be from Amazon Card Services. It said they were about to deduct £79 fom my account for services and if I wished to cancel this to press button 1 now. I...
12
12