Subject Author Posted Replies

Webcam with thermometer built in?
I want to keep an eye on Mum's old house through the winter (it's empty and 250 miles away; we've still got the house: she died in the spring). Got a web cam in which is doing what it should ok....
8
8

VA versus watts
It doesn't seem to work out here, compared to other manufacturers. Anyway, what power factor should be used? Bill http://www.qvsdirect.com/150va-dimmable-electronic-low-voltage-transformer
47
47

epoxy tile grout - anyone used it?
Any gotcha's with mapei epoxy tile grout? Lots of grumbles on web about epoxy grouts in general (mostly from plumbers...,) but seems straightforward enough - or is it? TIA Jim K
5
5

Combined doorbell and camera lets you see callers on smartphone
Looks like a good device for DIYers who like gadgets: I've just ordered one Idoor Cam – Dubai, UAE
2
2

OT:Harsh winter
Last night, over an hour, saw 7 separate flocks of birds (I'm not ornithologist) all flying roughly south, in a "V" formation ... Do they know something we don't ?
17
17

Glow Worm 30sxi - hot water but no central heating.
The system has been used lightly since last October. It fires up fine. It heats DHW but there is no central heating. What is the problem likely to be?
20
20

Z-wave heating controls
looks rather fun. Anyone got experience of/recommendations for Z-wave heating controls, e.g. Danfoss Living Connect? How to get a Raspberry Pi to take over your Robot House • The Register Z-Wave.Me...

Smelly rug
How do I clean a rug of dog smells? It's either leave it out in the rain or leave it out in the bin for my list so far.
9
9

Combi-Boiler in a bedroom?
If this is a possible location forced by planning regulations on a listed building is it likely to cause "sound pollution" problems for anyone sleeping in the same room (even if behind cupboard...
1
1

Them solar panels are very robust
From Bungalow is 'smashed to smithereens' in massive explosion http://tinyurl.com/mppcgaa College lecturer Michele Wright, 49, was telephoned by police while she was in Crete who told her: 'Sorry, but...
19
19

Boiler water temperture
I have put on one of those clip on dial thermometers on the flow pipe from my old Mexico boiler and found that on the max setting the water temp was only getting to 62 degrees but the boiler manual...
11
11

repair work to fireplace and hearth
Sob story... My (soon to be ex-) wife 'accidentally' got builders to smash up the fireplace and hearth in a small property I own which I have never been to, in a remote part of Scotland. Now she has...

Does anyone collect old electrical gear?
Whilst clearing a long abandoned shed today I came across an old Memrex Senior 60A switch fuse. Cast iron construction with nicely made ceramic fittings. Switching mechanism is probably only two or...
5
5

Nice earner in Suffolk
A wealthy landowner has admitted he stands to make £80,000 a year by installing a 45 metre wind turbine on his farm, which villagers say will destroy the area.
16
16

Stihl chainsaw - anyone stripped one down
MInes never missed a beat in twelve years but today its showing all the signss of shit in the main jet - runs at idle, cuts when throttle opened up as if its run out of juice. Its the smallest one...
5
5