Subject Author Posted Replies

Turbogold - snap, and the head is gone!
Although a fan of the turbogold screws from Screwfix I managed to tear the heads off a couple this afternoon. Screw into a wall plug, then try and unscrew and the head comes off instead of the screw...
17
17

Looking for something like a window stay - but not quite
I'm after some adjustable stays for varying the slope (manually on an as needed basis, on a boat) of some solar panels. I imagine them as two pieces of metal bar about 1ft long each with a friction...
7
7

Makita drill driver died
My 14v Site (rebadged Makita) drill driver died today while I was using it - just stopped during use. Haven't taken it apart yet - am I likely to find anything easily replaceable like a fuse?
4
4

New garage door needed:-)
Well the last time I parked my van in there I did not have roof bars on the van...... My Mum thinks it's a conspiracy between me and my Dad as he wanted a new door and she told him that there was...
24
24

fernox f6
Hi, Whilst browsing the BES web site, I saw that Fernox now make an F6 "energy saver" additive, which claims to improve heat transfer efficiency. The fernox web site does not give any further details....
5
5

underfloor heating questions
Hello, I have pretty much decided to have wet UFH in new extensions to kitchen & d ining room. 1. Although they will be part of a larger single kitchen-diner, they are no t directly adjacent. Would 2...
3
3

securing kitchen cabinets to wall
Hi, I notice in the installation instructions it says to firmly anchor the wall and floor cupboards to the wall so that they don't tip over. The old kitchen units that I have removed were not secured...
23
23

olives: brass or copper
Hi, Last time I bought a bag of olives they were made from copper. I notice that screwfix and toolstation now sell brass olives instead. Is the only reason for this cost? I imagine that brass is...
9
9

URGENT - help needed with building regs! Tense situation.
A close friend is in the process of selling up and moving house and has dis covered at the last minute before completion that there is no paperwork fro m the landlord agreeing to layout changes she...
12
12

Ivy - the spawn of the devil?
I've let ivy grow up the back of the house, as it looks quite picturesque. However, now it's reached first floor level and is growing over the window panes, I'm beginning to have second thoughts as to...
25
25

Boiling water from kitchen tap? Blind broken? Get a new window.
Just back from an interesting stroll round the rather packed National Homebuilding and Renovation Show at Olympia, where two companies were showing gizmos claimed to generate true boiling water from a...
43
43

Fire rated down lighters
When fitting fire rated down lighters to an insulated ceiling do you have to fit the chimneys to keep the insulation off them and allow ventilation as you would for standard down lighters. Richard
1
1

Model electric motor
I have a battery operated model electric motor from my youth c.1960's. It's an SEL ref: 3/1262. From t'internet searches I understand SEL were part of Mamod, the famous model steam engine...
26
26

Determining level of water under oil in tank
Hi guys, Is there any way of dipping an oil tank to find out how much water there is at the bottom of it? cheers, CD
15
15

Asbestos(?) water tank
Dear All, My friend has a defunct water tank in her loft, which is in a 60s brick semi. Evidently the plumber opted to just leave it there when he upgraded the system and installed a plastic, tank...
44
44