Subject Author Posted Replies

Bleedin' typical
I've been converting the gravity HW system over to pumped. Not been a difficult job, but awkward at times. And of course it sprouted extra tasks like a new feed and expansion tank (Polyred packaged...
13
13

clearance hole
Hi, I am a teacher and find myself doing metalwork this year. I have been supplied with the drawings by the exam board, but I think they have taken no account of clearance. In the vice in the middle...
15
15

Foundations on (sandstone) bedrock.
Any reason not to build house foundations directly on sandstone? Cheers.
3
3

Wall plugs into Thermalite blocks
Just hung a couple of identical bike racks on an external wall. One into brick, the other into Thermalite block used to block up an old doorway. The fixings are 4 off 5* 50 Turbogold screws into brown...
21
21

Stainless dish masts
I was looking for a 2 meter cranked stainless steel mast which would (a) give me some adjustment ability (maybe allowing me to put a large dish above the bend, if forced to by clearance requirements,...
20
20

(Temporary) convert a wheelchair to a sedan ?
Last weekend, we went to a wedding held in a country hotel. My wife uses a wheelchair, and there were various accessibility issues most of which we overcame (disabled folk are very ingenious !)....
32
32

Hanging a radiator in a room with a sloping floor
I have to hang a two metre long radiator in a room with a floor that slope significantly. The window sill above the radiator follows the floor's slope. My view is that the radiator should be level and...
4
4

Toaster repair
Just fixed the 10 year old Dualit for the first time. Someone bashed it and broke the neon indicator, and I also replaced one of the elements that was getting a little iffy. The securing nuts are...
17
17

Mira showers.
Just had my 30 year old Mira shower mixer serviced. Fixed price at £189 and they fitted £400 worth of parts (at shower doctors prices). The only thing original is the casting and the trim. I think I...
8
8

acer 1511 laptop spares or repair
A friend gifted this to me in case there was anything I could use. Prmarily the battery, but that's shagged even more than the one I have. case is cracked round the hinge and the computer crasshes...
4
4

Electrically heated towel rail - Thermostatic element + timer
I want to install an electrically heated towel rail in the bathroom - running it from the CH is not practical. I would like to use a Terma thermostatic element like because it gives more control over...
8
8

Switching between Win drivers, quickly
A general DIY group I know, but some very knowledgeable people in it.. I have a single USB dongle and for two very different sets of software, I need to have it use two very different drivers. The...
15
15

digital wristwatches
Why do they all have so many unwanted functions ? If they were all dropped, we could have buttonless, permanently sealed, solar powered, radio controlled digital wristwatches that were virtually...
29
29

Oxypilot advice
We have a gas fire in our lounge which we prefer to use in the evening, rather than fire the CH for the whole house. In the past year it has started cutting out after about 30 minutes. When relit it...
10
10

Fancy TRVs
I have some of these (The "Radio Exhaust" is actually a radiator bleeding device, and this combination is £10 cheaper than one without the freebie) No issues with batteries, and they seem to work as...
9
9