Subject Author Posted Replies

PCB value?
Does a faulty Glow Worm 30cxi PCB have any residual value? Or does it go in the (electronics) recycling bin?
5
5

cabling for broadband - please bring me up to date
Home move on the horizon to an area with cable/fibre broadband (not sure wh ich!). New house needs refurbishment & I need to plan & specify trunking & cabling for an up-to-date broadband/TV/telephone...
13
13

LCD install - Plasterboard/space/bricks - which fixing ?
LCD install - Plasterboard/space/bricks - which fixing ? Not sure which is best fixing for this ? I have plasterboard walls , then a 2" space then brickwork I cant rely on basic plasterboard fixings...
7
7

OT Newsserver
I fancied an additional user name with eternal-september. It would seem that I can only have one user name per email address with them. I don't fancy pissing around with Yahoo etc. Still using OE in...
19
19

OOH I WANT one!
Never mind an angle grinder.. A hand-held laser for use in the dismantling of metallic infrastructures during the decommissioning of nuclear facilities has been developed by TWI of the UK.
28
28

OT: Any printer recommendations?
My wife needs a new printer for her computer. Her ageing Canon Pixma iP4000 has finally given up printing colour - and would need a new print-head, which costs more than most new printers! I've read...
54
54

Rusty rims
Is it a big job removing a low profile tyre? I have leaking rims I was told is due to fitters using the wrong type of lubricant in the good old days. (It's a 12 year old Mondeo.) Apparently, all I...
9
9

embargo electrical fixings
"On the picture: a home-made electric plug (Cuba), found at Architecture of Necessity." Is Cuba the First Large-Scale Maker Society?

Bloody fly
For over 24 hours I have had a fly buzzing me. Where on earth do they get the energy to keep flying up and down the lounge, into the kitchen, then the dining room and back?
10
10

OT Colour test challenge
I scored 23. X-Rite's online color challenge and hue test is a free tetrachromatic test that allows you to test your color accuracy and color vision.
70
70

elec. supply to new central heating boiler/pump
Regarding the elect. supply to a new gas central heating system... Is it ok to run a T&E from a dedicated mcb in the CU to supply both the boiler and the pump? What should the termination be on the...
21
21

Wall tile adhesive as floor tile adhesive
I've got 5l of Unibond wall tile adhesive and only 4 or 5 wall tiles left to lay. On the other hand, I've got zero litres of floor tile adhesive and 80 *floor* tiles to lay. You can understand my...
10
10

OT driving and watching a video on dashboard
OT The scenario...the car in front of me had either a large smartphone or tablet mounted in a holder attached to the center of the device was on and playing a video. The screen was even tilted in the...
46
46

TOT: Strange sums in spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet where most of the columns are in number format with 2 after the decimal point. Without thinking I put the dates in the first column in the format 05/10/13. The numbers in that...
9
9

Fireproof charger box
I always unhappy about having battery chargers running. I'd like to make a fireproof box for all the chargers, and ideally a smoke or heat detector that turns off the power to the box if anything goes...
15
15