Subject Author Posted Replies

B&Q Luton
I heard that B&Q Warehouse in Luton is planning a significant shrink in size, turning over much of its premises to Morrisons. A sign of changing times perhaps - maybe less DIY, but also many more...
37
37

PVC tubing grade
I have a need for 5m of pvc tubing ......12mm bore. The existing (new) tubing is too short, I have purchased some ... but unfortunately there is a 'difference' in material. A bit non-technical but the...
5
5

WEell OT: iPhone and photo storage
Sorry for OT-ness but this group has such a diverse and keen knowledge of things ;o) Right, iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0 (yes, I know they're up to 7.x but each update breaks something else and it's working...
13
13

Outdoor signs: a cheap way of doing them
I needed some half A4-sized customised signs (adhesive or screw-on) to go outdoors. I got prices. They seemed high. I wondered if I could print the signs and then lacquer them. I experimented with a...
27
27

LED car lights - repair
My car has a central brake light which no longer lights up properly. The light is made up of a row of 16 LEDs. The LEDs are divided into four groups of four. The LEDs in each group are connected in...
27
27

PING: Chemists / metallurgists.
Hi All, I've been experimenting with de-rusting of 'stuff', initially using 'electro', then chemical with Deox-C and now citric acid. So, not sure where to start concentration-wise I mixed 1kg of...
15
15

Antifreeze Q
I have an almost full 5L container of "CarPlan All Season Antifreeze concentrate." ASA 005 This is a number of years old ... but container has been sealed at all times ... inside it is still the...
18
18

OT: Engineering the 2012 Olympics Ceremonies - Lecture
A little late, but I have just come across this 1 hour technical lecture about the engineering aspects of the 2012 Olympics & Paralympics opening & closing ceremonies. It fascinated me, and I guess...
3
3

Energy saving linear halogen
I have an outside floodlight with a failed bulb. Removing the bulb to establish properties revealed it to be a 240V/300W 117mm linear halogen. Now going to my friendly electrical spares shop revealed...
20
20

GU10 style LED lights?
Regret do not fully understand the new (to me) GU10 LED lights. They are rated as direct replacements for 240V GU10 halogens. But LED lights are inherently 2V very low current devices. What happens to...
17
17

Like a fish out of water
Absolutely OT but I want to find videos of bullets in water and there are so many bloody stupid "almost but not quite DIY breaking shit" TV programmes on You Tube that the signal gets lost. Anyone...
9
9

Mains water pipe - excuse my elderly ignorance
Plumbing with copper is no mystery me - whole house re-plumb + CH in the last 30 years, but I've no experience with plastic. I'm wanting to run a new garden water supply and want to know if I can use...
9
9

Insulating a suspended timber floor
My sixties bungalow has a suspended timber floor - t&g floorboards on wooden joists over a void some 3 or 4 feet deep with airbricks to the outside world. The floor covering is thin (and cheap)...
46
46

[OT] Has any other country solved the online shopping/delivery problem?
Round here, online shopping was reasonably stable - most senders used Royal Mail, Parcelforce, UPS or one of a couple of other reasonable couriers. All of a sudden every bugger seems to be using Yodel...
67
67

Yale lock broken key: cunning plan needed
I have a key broken off in a standard yale cylinder lock. It still works with the half key. Any bright ideas for removing the other half? I would quite like to "save" the lock because several family...
19
19