Subject Author Posted Replies

Quote Check- Baxi 105 Automatic Air Valve and more
My Mom has had a central heating boiler service and another bit of minor plumbing done by a local heating/plumbing co. The prices for that seemed slightly on the high side, but the firm seem reliable,...
7
7

Hi-tech Delivery?
Just had a delivery. I was given the two sheet delivery note to sign (my copy, their copy) and a slightly chunky pen. As I signed the pen vibrated. I asked what was special about the pen. Apparently...
8
8

OT:Decisions, decisions ..
What to do with 227 Royal Mail shares ? Instinct is to sell £750 worth, and keep the rest ...
7
7

Winterising a leaking flat roof (garage)
On Monday 21 October 2013 09:54 Martin Brown wrote in uk.d-i-y: A job for flashband?
5
5

Generator 230vac/12vdc
I have a Powertec PT2500S 4 stroke generator. It claims to have non-sine wave output and therefore unsuitable for some ap pliances. I can't see what voltage the generator actually generates interna...
5
5

Nuclear power at 10p unit
I keep hearing about the government being ready to agree a price of 10p per unit for new Nuclear Power stations. This is much more than I currently pay for economy 7 night supply. If the price...
49
49

Sharpening a plane iron
Is this jig suitable for a 25 deg plane iron? http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools/planes-chisels-files/chisel_sharpening/-specificproducttype-accessories/B-and-Q-Honing-Guide-11247604?skuId=11758309
6
6

Tech Digital TV Q
OK ... seen the Adds that BT now provide BroadBand customers with BT sports channels for free .. Applied to BT to get an ID code to watch. So far been unable to watch though. Even though the 'free...
7
7

Servicing your own gas boiler
Hello folks, How much (if any) buggering about is one allowed to do to one's own gas boiler? The reason I ask is that my boiler fails to light most of the time during the winter months. Research...
230
230

rotating machines & flourescent lights
Trying to choose lighting over my new garage/workshop. As is well known, flourescent lights (strip lights) on single phase supplies do not mix happily with rotating machines due to the possibility...
14
14

Broadband dongle for 1 week's use?
Our clan is off to Hastings for a week and thinking of getting access to t'interwebs while they're there. BT Openzone or 3G dongle? And if dongle, which and what provider/SIM?
17
17

Swelling wood
I've got a pair of wooden gates across my drive. The frames are OK, but the planks on them are very prone to swelling and contracting. In the summer they contract to the point where the wood started...
4
4

Gas and coca tin experiement
Years ago (60's) at school I recall an "experiment" where the teacher placed a rubber gas tube into the base of a coca tin. The top of the tin was tight on, and had a hole punched in it. The gas was...
25
25

gate latch
Anyone care to recommend a grandchild resistant garden gate latch? Ideally something that can be easily used when they are not here! Gate inward opening and 4'0" high. I suppose a conventional *slam*...
10
10

Anybody know anything about hand bells?
I've found an old brass hand bell at my mother's house. It's about 70mm mouth diameter and 50mm deep. The clapper is missing, but there is an iron loop for it to be hung on. I can turn up an clapper...
12
12