Subject Author Posted Replies

Height of chimney above ridge?
I have, sadly, inherited a 16C thatched house in Devon. Listed building in conservation area. The place is generally in good order but the brick chimney stack is poor and the thatch needs a new ridge....
10
10

Torness down due to green 'seaweed'
Poor old EDF, no sooner is Dungeness back up than its seaweed in the condensers at Torness. Last time it was Heysham.. See the daily status of EDF Energy's nuclear power stations and find out which...
34
34

removing mirror tiles
How do you remove those decorative 15cm square stuck-on mirror tiles ? Is it possible to soften the adhesive by warming ? Jim Hawkins
2
2

Power supply to sockets tripping out.
Hi all, I live in a modern 1 bedroom flat. A problem that has developed is the power plug socket sometimes trips out. I can then simply re set the trip switch and power is restored. It has happened at...
23
23

Tiles you grout and tiles you don't (flooring)
HI all, I got some ceramic floor tiles for the downstairs WC. I'd kind of like to lay them up tight together in contact with no grouting between, but will it look right if they're not specifically...
12
12

How much am I saving?
My nephew is currently living at my house. Every weekday morning he goes off to work just before 8am and I take a quick look in his room and always I have to unplug from the wall socket as yet again...
35
35

Heating Rate of Ordinary Electric Oven ?
In a block of new-built flats first occupied in Spring 1981 there is a originally-fitted "Tricity Double Oven". The resident considers the heating rate of the main (upper) oven to be too low, but has...
58
58

UFH with suspended floor
How practical / economical is fitting wet UFH under an existing suspended wooden floor? A friend has just bought a renovated 1900s terrace and is thinking of doing so. He also has a builder about to...
6
6

waste pipe - PVC or ABS?
Looking to get waste pipe and fittings for the bathroom. Using solvent weld. I see there is ABS and PVC stuff. I've no idea what I used last time. Pros/cons? Which is better? Can on be glued to the...
1
1

OT : AdTrap
Not strictly DIY*, but probably interesting to some. - A little Arm7 box connected between router and wall-socket, blocking an updateable list of advertising traffic. $140 one-off cost, saving the...
24
24

Question: Guttering Maintenance- neighbours
My Moother-in-law owns her house, and the adjoined semi is owned by a buy-to-let landlord. They're ex-council, mid 1960s. The guttering is the usual setup: a run the full width of the pair, with one...
3
3

It's started to snow
Anyone else got snow?
12
12

Google take on Saniflo!
A new Google app goes to the bathroom for you so you can be more productive
6
6

venetian blind type louvred ventilator wanted
I'm looking for a room ventilator that I can open and close, that has louvres like a Venetian blind. Plenty of sliding hit-and-miss types available, but the open area of these is only about half the...
3
3

Thunderbird Woes
Hi all Having to post through Google Groups ughh. Anyone had problems with Thunderbird lately? I'm not sure whether Windows updates are to blame here, but I can no longer post messages via...
15
15