Subject Author Posted Replies

dummies guide to understanding routers OT
Recent advice in the *mixed blessing* thread has reminded me how little I understand about the workings of my router. The discussion on my recent telephone line outage and the subsequent re-training...
39
39

Painting advice
Just about to paint some window lintels and reveals but wondering how best to prepare the corners where the uPVC frames meet the masonry - presume there's some sealant underneath and the paint is...
8
8

OT Guardian Science Funnies
Guardian has an unusually good collection of broadly science-based jokes - some even seem fairly new! There are many more in the pages of comments... A few samples: A statistician is someone who tells...
45
45

B&Q occassionally cheaper in bulk than Screwfix?
I would expect SF to always be the cheaper, but there's few inexplicable di fferences I've come across on bulk items. For instance Ronseal Diamond Hard floor varnish: 9321 £36.99 for 2.5 litres...
13
13

12v up to 24v inverter
I'm looking to make or buy a device which will allow me to power for a brief test run some 24v side and brake lights on a vehicle from a 12v supply. The vehicle might have LEDs, or conventional bulbs,...
20
20

DPM beneath fibreboard and laminate?
I'm about to lay laminate flooring in a ground floor room. Room has a suspended timber floor with cellar beneath. The existing floorboards are tongue/groove in reasonable condition. The cellar isn't...
5
5

Tenerife Explosion
Reports are suggesing a Flammable Gel used to keep the buffet warm was the cause of the explosion. What would this be?
3
3

Sticking carpet tiles down?
I have a substantial area to carpet with carpet tiles, 500sqft. They are to go down onto a chipboard floor that is in good condition. I would have just put them straight onto the chipboard, but the...
11
11

It's an ill wind....
Five calls so far for replacing blown down fence panels. Next thing will be the BM & sheds running out of then.
43
43

power surge then monitor fails
There was a power cut due to a tree falling on the wires, now my PC monitor doesnt work. Its got a green light on but no picture. What is likely to have broken, and can it be fixed? [george]
12
12

(?) Looking for LONG screws for electrical knockout boxes.
Can anyone tell me where I can obtain half a dozen LONG (>60mm) screws, preferably countersunk headed, with either a 3mm or a 2BA thread, such as those used to fix mains sockets to a knock-out box in...
9
9

I see no complaints about the BBC's
coverage of the floods, winds, power outages, transport problems, etc, over Xmas. Has miserable Old Billy had a nice time enjoying other people's misfortune? Ain't he lucky, 'cos there's another load...
34
34

Belt sander - rent or buy?
I've got several floors with pine boarding, probably Victorian. They've collected all sorts of stains and paint over the years, and we want to sand them flat(ter), and to an even colour. This will...
14
14

Storm power outages
In listening to the reports of people without power for the last couple of days am I alone in thinking that complaining about a service with a 99.98% up-time reliability is a bit of a moan. (Guessing...
54
54

f plugs: zinc or brass?
Hello, I was looking to buy some f plugs, coax to f type adaptors, couples, etc. and see that they are available in nickel plated brass or zinc. Is there any difference? Google said zinc was softer...
21
21