Subject Author Posted Replies

Diamond whetstones
Need some to resharpen TCT wood blade & planer blades that are struggling. But I don't know what grit's needed, and have no experience re brands with such products. Anyone have any guidance? Its not...
3
3

Boiler scrappage or replacement schemes
Are there any boiler scrappage or replacement schemes active at present, or grants available for low-income households? You occasionally get British Gas marketing scrappage schemes, but it's just...
10
10

Lamp adaptors at TLC Direct.
All sorts; BC to ES, BC to GU10, ES to G9 etc. 15 different combinations. Looks useful.... Lamp Adaptors ES E27 to BC B22 - BC B22 to ES E27
24
24

OT: Windows 7 apps launch but invisible on screen
Sprog#2's xmas laptop came with Windows 8 which Sprog#1 just upgraded to Win7. Explorer works but Chrome, Skype and Control Panel (at least: haven't tried others) appear to launch (generating icons in...
11
11

Problem with a pendant light fitting
In mum's house, in the lounge there's a pendant fitting that has three sort of goblet/vase-shaped metal cones which face upwards at the ends of three metal arms. The cones have frosted glass 'petals'...
24
24

Partlially blocked kitchen sink drain?
At my mum's house the kitchen has a full-size steel sink with a half-bowl drainer next to it. When the plug is pulled out on the larger sink water flows away, but slowly, and some comes up into the...
19
19

Water heater for sink
OK, friend of mine (pensioner) gets his hot water in the kitchen from one of those little over-sink electric heaters which has a 7 litre tank inside and a heating element. Problem is, it's gone kaput...
5
5

Replacing part of a mixer tap
Some friends who live out in the country miles from anywhere have a kitchen mixer tap that's faulty. Last time I was there I took the tap apart to find the bit that needs replacing and the attached...
12
12

Boiler replacement scheme - safety
The current boiler replacement scheme is for a like for like replacement. In a friend's instance, the water is still heated through a gravity system, where just the Central Heating side is pumped. As...
22
22

Enclosure for 2 gel filled phone wire connectors
I want to extend a phone cable to re-route it. I have some of those gel filled connectors but I would appreciate advice about an enclosure - or can I just tape around the joint. IT will be external -...
7
7

OT: Our BIll?
From a different newsgroup: "January 8, 1912 Thar's gold in them thar hills Swastika, Ontario: Harry Oakes and the Tough brothers snowshoe six miles through the dark and -40F cold from Swastika and at...
7
7

OT Foreign aid to be cut.
Well, at last! The UK's decision to curtail foreign aid to South Africa and India may have been influenced by "short-term political pressures", MPs say.
27
27

Water softener?
Our water here is very hard. Can anyone recommend a softener system/product? H
4
4

Running two monitors from DVI
My computer has a DVI connection from it to the monitor. I'd like to run a TV screen from it at the same time. There are splitter leads on Ebay that are DVI in, and DVI and HDMI out. Which would give...
28
28

OT: telewest broadband compatible with virgin media?
I'm in a new house, to me anyway, there are a couple of telewest broadband terminal boxes. Does anyone know if these could be compatible with virgin media, as i like the idea of re-using what's there?...
4
4