Subject Author Posted Replies

If Fred Dibnah did carpentry...
The historic all Steam Powered Box Factory, founded in 1897, is family owned and operated and listed in the National Register of Historic places. This mill is believed to be the last fully operational...
41
41

Combi boiler electrical fault
Hi all, I've a Worcester oil fired condensing combi boiler that I've complained about here on previous occasions. This time it's gone tits up as a result of a suspected electrical fault. I suspect...
11
11

The incombustibility of freshly cut elm
Round here they go 10-12 years and then die But I HAVE seen one a bit older than that. Its possible that the cold period of the 18th 19th century killed the bugs and that's why they flourished. They...
17
17

Quick electrical question.
Hi all, What are my chances of getting two 4mm^2 cores into a single MK 20A grid-switch terminal? Cheers, Colin.
4
4

OT; new business opportunity....
I'm going to use my deck building skills to start making rafts & am looking for an agent in the south west...
9
9

Strange deal.
I was looking for a multi tool, battery powered to match the other tools I've bought recently from B&Q. (Mostly for a few jobs while I get the boat up to scratch, so quality wasn't too important) On...
12
12

Getting front off a switch.
A boiler has a switch instead of a SFCU; it's tatty as hell and I'd like to replace it. The switch is a full-face rocker, with no screws visible. I suspect that the entire rocker might be removable,...
9
9

24 way connector
Need to be able to terminate 24 cores inside a plastic projects box ... Lid of box will have display circuitry ... base of box will have incoming signal cables ... It makes sense for this connection...
13
13

Printer vanishes from network !
I have two HP 2100 laser printer on my home network with Jetdirect cards. Both have fixed IP addresses and work fine, EXCEPT - if not used for a few hours or sometimes days they are liable to vanish...
8
8

TV as monitor.
After all my re-jigging, I'm left with an 'HD ready' 23" widescreen TV with a broken digital tuner. It's a Humax LU23-TD2. The line fed picture is pretty good. So I thought I'd use it as a monitor to...
6
6

192.com
Good find, cheers :)
6
6

Smart grid being rolled out.
The National Grid has revealed that it is launching a new smart grid programme in the UK that will help reduce commercial and industrial energy use during peak demand.
6
6

successful radiator replacement
"Successful" means the heat is back on & the house is warmed up before SWMBO gets home. About 3½ hours, including going back to Grahams for a tailpipe extension because the new radiator is 30 mm...
6
6

OT: Can retirees get mortgages?
Has anyone had experience of getting a new mortgage while drawing a pension? I may be moving house this year and a mortgage would be useful. I'm 60 and "retired" a few years ago but am still earning...
17
17

How do Mod Tap UTP Testers work?
For the uninitiated, I am referring to UTP cable testers which have a Master unit with a red LED and a red LED for each UTP pair, and a remote unit with a green LED for each pair. For each pair that...
11
11