Subject Author Posted Replies

Traditional bannisters
The stairs to the top floor of my house are surrounded by a bannister and I would like to remove the handrail (about 6' long, between two newels) temporarily to make it easier to get some long timbers...
10
10

Gas valves
Does anyone know the difference between a Honeywell v8800 1121 and v8800 1127? If anyone has a v8800 1063, I'd possibly be interested.
2
2

Piece of crap Vigor 2830!
OK - I know one or two people have got these (or similar) Vigor ADSL routers... Can you help me before I take an angle grinder to the bastard thing. I've been playing with it for months - now trying...
27
27

Another workshop project
possibly of limited interest this one, since its a bit tool specific! Unisaw out feed table - DIYWiki

Drill chuck problem
The chuck on my Makita is buggered: one of the three gripping "teeth" (I don't know the technical name) seems to have become disengaged from the twisting mechanism which grips the bit. The "tooth" at...
2
2

Funny!
How much skill does it take to hold something straight? Not very much, but with this tricked wall, no matter how good you are, you'll never get it right and she won't hesitate to make you feel...
2
2

Worth installing 150mm fan with only 100mm ducting?
I've got a 100mm inline extractor fan in the ensuite; there's a vent in the ceiling and it ducts the air up into the roofspace (in corrugated flexible ducting) and as this is a dormer-style house with...
11
11

Do LED lamps still need vents through ceiling insulation
As subject... my old LED lamps in the ensuite ceiling had 'chimneys' (lengths of 4" ducting) poking through the rockwool insulation, to ensure they didn't overheat. Given that the new replacement...
10
10

DIY - Get your angle grinder around this!
Anyone like a DIY restoration job? Have a go at this Ekranoplan. (warning: Lots & lots of high-def pictures, so it might be slow to load). Вот у меня и дошли руки до...
23
23

OT Maintainance man gets 4 years for manslaughter
I wonder if he got that long behind bars because he pleaded not guilty. A maintenance worker is jailed for the manslaughter of a two-year-old girl who fell from a balcony because he had not replaced a...
25
25

Cleaning a granite kitchen sink
What cleaning agents / methods are best to remove scale marks? We're in a hard water area unfortunately and the look of what was an expensive sink is being tarnished by these. Thanks.
15
15

Plumbers and Heating
I often wonder whether there should be a different title to differentiate between a plumber who can fit pipes and one who can solve heating problems. (However, having heard of some problems at a new...
52
52

Non-wireless NAT router/firewall
Following on from my previous queries, I am now looking for what used to be called a Cable Router - that is a NAT Router/firewall with a WAN port and up to (4?) LAN ports but no wireless. Single LAN...
22
22

Another GU10 LED question...
Apologies in advance if this has been covered before Last year we installed some IP65 GU10 downlighters in the bathroom; these ones to be precise: If I was to use led lamps, would the life of them be...
2
2

fan speed controllers
OK, at last fitted the fan speed controller for the downstairs loo, and it causes the fan to buzz. Not surprising I suppose as it is bound to be a switching device. Well, the result is crap and...
13
13