Subject Author Posted Replies

Pigeonproof aerials
Has anyone any good suggestions for a group A aerial which:- a) Can withstand the weight of many severely obese pigeons. b) Can prevent pigeons from perching on it. c) Has a high gain. d) Can...
38
38

Insurance Question
I have heard (maybe apocryphal) that even asking an insurance company a que stion can be considered a "claim" and yes, I need to read my policy (and sm all print!) but all that aside, your comments on...
31
31

50 HP blackstone air starting
I have had a Blackstone 50 HP diesel for many years now and I have provided the air start by charging two old refrigeration cylinder to about 300 PSI and this is rapidly discharged into the engine via...
25
25

OT: how do you tell how busy a certain solicitor is?
without asking them? IOW how do you avoid ending up being a "coast down to retirement without sticking your neck out, just take the money" punter/mug...? Jim K
2
2

Ventilating a shed
My friend bought a cheap shed off t'internet a couple of years ago. Given the appalling weather of 2012, followed by the lousy wet spells we've had ever since, the shed hasn't stood up to things very...
5
5

Adhesive for tiles on tiles
Any suggestions? This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over- tiling... cheers, cd
6
6

Some good news on wind farms
'A planned extension to a large Thames Estuary wind farm has been scrapped because of the time it would take to assess its impact on a species of bird.' Colin Bignell
1
1

Kilns again!
Hi Folks Still working on that DIY glass kiln - done all the nasty itchy stuff (it's lined with ceramic fibre - think fibreglass roof insulation & then some!) So the kiln controller is powered by AC,...
8
8

MDPE
I have just bought my first bit of blue MDPE pipe. What are MDPE pipe inserts sold for? To cut MDPE pipe would I use my copper pipe cutter or a hack saw?
16
16

A bit OT: Air dusters
I've had an aerosol 'Air Duster' for a few years, which I've found handy for blasting the dust off computer keyboards, etc. It's just run out, and the thought occurred to me that I might be able to...
9
9

Water softener and dish washer
Firstly, I've tried Googling but without definitive results. Since we had the water softener installed I've noticed that the (probably) aluminium rivets in some kitchen knife handles seem to be slowly...
5
5

Wired Security Alarm
We're about to move house shortly and one of the first jobs I'll want to do is install a wired security alarm (intruder, fire detection and communicat or) When I did this 10 years ago in our current...
1
1

Pillar drill problems.
I bought a second hand pillar drill, which appeared fine at the time. It is a Sealey SDM90. It has a 3 spoke handle which attaches to the splined drive pinion/shaft. However the handle rotates around...
29
29

Consumer Unit Replacement
I have an older Edwardian house. The present consumer unit is about 6 feet above floor level wired in pvc red/black, probably done in the 70s and added to in early 90s. Everything rings out fine. I...
22
22

Removing floor tiles - over underfloor hot water heating
Throughout the ground floor, the previous owners of this house fitted underfloor heating - and we love it. But the tiles over it? Not good. Bland, at best, and plenty of them are cracked. They're not...
5
5