Subject Author Posted Replies

Your money at work ...
Given that our street has potholes you could lose a small child in, and resembles more an open cast mine than a residential street, we had a little van turn up this morning. Throw a bit of tarmac down...
21
21

Buying small items on eBay - grumble
The connector on the low voltage side of the power supply for our Asus EEPC 900 netbook has frayed and no longer works. Damage just by the moulded connector which fits into the back of the PC. O.K. -...
58
58

Thin acrylic glue
Any suggestions for a thin fluid solvent based acrylic glue to mend some damage on a largish 5cm diameter Perspex pipe for a science demo. The end got bashed and it would be expensive to replace. The...
22
22

Keston Qudos 28s Fault
Hi there, Being not trained at all in boilers, gas or plumbing I generally don't mess when we have issues but this problem seems pretty unusual so before I inve st in a fix I thought I'd seek views....
3
3

Mild winter heating costs
I can't gauge these with any great accuracy since it's oil in a tank and not a meter reading like gas or electric but usage seems noticeably light this year. I moved into this house in May 2012 and...
3
3

Cavity wall insulation exposed to the rain
We've had the dwarf wall for a new conservatory built and are waiting for the glass to be made up and fitted. The walls have glass fibre cavity wall insulation battens in them. The top of the walls...
3
3

Tale of Two Energy Suppliers
long but true Just over a year ago I started receiving letters address to a Mr Ivan Anger (!) at my home address at No 345. These were from NPowder - a well know supplier of energy. As I am with...
4
4

Pigeonproof aerials
Has anyone any good suggestions for a group A aerial which:- a) Can withstand the weight of many severely obese pigeons. b) Can prevent pigeons from perching on it. c) Has a high gain. d) Can...
38
38

Insurance Question
I have heard (maybe apocryphal) that even asking an insurance company a que stion can be considered a "claim" and yes, I need to read my policy (and sm all print!) but all that aside, your comments on...
31
31

50 HP blackstone air starting
I have had a Blackstone 50 HP diesel for many years now and I have provided the air start by charging two old refrigeration cylinder to about 300 PSI and this is rapidly discharged into the engine via...
25
25

OT: how do you tell how busy a certain solicitor is?
without asking them? IOW how do you avoid ending up being a "coast down to retirement without sticking your neck out, just take the money" punter/mug...? Jim K
2
2

Ventilating a shed
My friend bought a cheap shed off t'internet a couple of years ago. Given the appalling weather of 2012, followed by the lousy wet spells we've had ever since, the shed hasn't stood up to things very...
5
5

Adhesive for tiles on tiles
Any suggestions? This is for ceramic wall tiles over existing ceramic wall tiles and most of the wall tile adhesives I see state that they're not suitable for over- tiling... cheers, cd
6
6

Some good news on wind farms
'A planned extension to a large Thames Estuary wind farm has been scrapped because of the time it would take to assess its impact on a species of bird.' Colin Bignell
1
1

Kilns again!
Hi Folks Still working on that DIY glass kiln - done all the nasty itchy stuff (it's lined with ceramic fibre - think fibreglass roof insulation & then some!) So the kiln controller is powered by AC,...
8
8