Subject Author Posted Replies

DIY project
I?m hoping we?ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in the morning. ?Pizza for number 17?? ?Cab for number 11?? Also I?m hoping genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a...
21
21

Fisco Mark-o-matic
I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature is the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or scriber, one at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q...
4
4

Skirting rads
does anyone have any experience useing Climaboard ST skirting rads. They seem ok however the backing and clips are plastic which I'm concerned may not be stable enough with high temp ( Rayburn - water...
2
2

Hanging kitchen cabs on stud walls
I've done this previously on blockwork (easy!) and dot'n'dab dry-lined (spit!) walls but will soon be starting on stud walls for the first time. The cupboard edges are certain not to align with the...
8
8

Combi boiler and external vent dripping
Combi boiler Baxi 100HE I have 2 small leaks at radiator valves, about half a cup a month. I am not plumbing experienced so wont tackle the leaks until the heating goes off in Summer (just in case) so...
8
8

Fitting a gas hob and oven
These are to be fitted in a work surface and a kitchen unit. I want to do the job right such that if inspected there won't be any issues later. I've read: but its a bit quiet in certain areas though...
11
11

multitool came in useful for the first time in a month
Some gaffer tape had been stuck to a plastic door for a long time. The fabric rotted, leaving the adhesive. I wanted to remove this adhesive so I tried Label remover. Didn't work, and hardened the...
1
1

[OT] Risk adverseness and fear of heights
Totally OT, but with lots of older folk here who may play on ladders, I am interested in some observations: I have never had a significant fear of heights - used to run up a ladder on our 2 storey...
65
65

Want to have a conservatory besides my home
I am living in U.K. and am very infuriatingly humble explorer. I want to implement a conservatory outside my bedroom just besides it. Can anyone suggest some good home improvement provider in U.K....
36
36

Best metal for a rivnut in an aluminium door?
I want to fit Yale door bolts to an aluminium patio door. ( This bolt: ) The aluminium of the patio door frame is only 1.5mm thick, so I guess that I'll have to insert "rivnuts" into the frame. Or...
17
17

Do electricians have special powers?
Changed a few sockets at Handyman Towers last week. The dreaded stranded cable. What a sod to work with! One socket was a spur & had three cables. No way would three wires fit into a terminal -...
52
52

Awkward plumbing problem
The situation is this: I need a knob cos mine's missing. Its for a radiator valve (lockshield, not trv). Now, I need as big a one as can fit cos the shaft on the rad's as stiff as hell. Now... no way...
16
16

Part P - new summary
I thought it worth updating the wiki advice on part P, since the latest version introduces a number of significant changes and simplifications. Have a read of: adapt adopt improve etc. (note I have...
7
7

high water pressure
Hello, When taps are described as suitable for high water pressure or low water pressure, or reducers in toilet inlets, etc. what is the definition of high pressure and low pressure, i.e. how many...
19
19

Impregnating a tree stump for burning out?
I've got an old cherry tree stump which I really want rid of. It's probably about 10" high by 15" across, and the problem is that it's in an awkward position at the foot of a banked area, and...
64
64