Subject Author Posted Replies

How much !
Just had our boiler cover renewal letter today. £219 !!!!!!!! I can't believe we've been paying this much every year - my vague recollection is it was about £60 a year.. It's a 12 year old Vaillant...
35
35

Church sound system.
My brother is involved with his local church which desperately needs a decent sound system. The church is traditional Victorian which held perhaps 1000 in the days of pews - but now has movable...
93
93

Rotary pipe brush
I remember seeing a US made video with a plumber using a pipe de-burring and cleaning brush that was mounted on a cordless drill. It struck me a pretty good idea considering how much time you can...
4
4

Thunderbird: Useful little thread colouring mod?
Sometime ago on another group someone mentioned a feature of 'outlook express' that highlighted unread threads in a different colour as well as being embolded. Thunderbird just has them in bold. I had...
13
13

OT Global warming.
Came across this:- The most common fallacy in discussing extreme weather events + Update « RealClimate
11
11

Lawnmower Switch - capacitor
I am replacing the trigger switch in a neighbour's lawnmower. Across the load side of the douple pole switch is a 0.1pf capacitor. As the new switch is slightly different in layout I am wondering if...
25
25

Underlay problem?
Hello all! As a first time buyer last year I've noticed a couple of things I never wou ld have when living with parents. One of these is the underlay in the livin g room. We had new carpet (last...
9
9

OT: Super yachts
If I won the lottery, what I would not buy, is a super yacht. A typical type of "super yacht" as bought by some of the worlds richest people might be some 400 feet long and cost around 200 million...
32
32

Extended height kitchen cabinet legs
I have a need to install some kitchen base cabinets at a higher than normal 940mm to the top of a 40mm worktop rather than the normal 910mm. This means using cab legs with a 180mm nominal height...
5
5

Any experiences of plinth heaters
I need to use all the wall space in a small kitchen so plan to go for a plinth heater (under a 600 base unit) running off the CH. Is there anything to watch out for? Are there any types to...
14
14

Lifting cork tiles - an excuse to buy a multi-tool?
I've got quite a few cork floor tiles to lift, from a poke with a scraper they seem to have been stuck-down (well!) with evostik. Is this the excuse I need to buy a multitool? If so, which one? Is it...
23
23

DIY project
I?m hoping we?ll have fewer lost souls knocking on the door at one in the morning. ?Pizza for number 17?? ?Cab for number 11?? Also I?m hoping genuine callers such as the District Nurse will find us a...
21
21

Fisco Mark-o-matic
I have one of these steel tape measures - 5 metre. Its unusual feature is the ability to mark wood etc via its built in pencil lead or scriber, one at either end of the body. Think it came from B&Q...
4
4

Skirting rads
does anyone have any experience useing Climaboard ST skirting rads. They seem ok however the backing and clips are plastic which I'm concerned may not be stable enough with high temp ( Rayburn - water...
2
2

Hanging kitchen cabs on stud walls
I've done this previously on blockwork (easy!) and dot'n'dab dry-lined (spit!) walls but will soon be starting on stud walls for the first time. The cupboard edges are certain not to align with the...
8
8