Subject Author Posted Replies

What is a likely wait for an electricity meter change?
A non-indigenous administratively-inept friend who buys electricity from Th e Utility Warehouse (TUW) has at present a single white electricity meter w hich is fed with pseudo-money by inserting a...
3
3

Windows 7 Laptop with Vista Partition - Upgrade?
Hi all I am trying to understand the history of a laptop. The product key sticker on the back shows Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS. Looking at the partitions themselves, one of them is labelled...
11
11

air locks
My loft tank to bathroom is very susceptible to air locks and after doing some work I have one again. Last time I attached a hose from the outside tap and on to washbasin tap and blew the air back,...
9
9

Strange PC problem.
I have two PCs both dual boot XP/Win 7, (on separate HDs) with more or less the same progs on them. One not much used these days. The not much used one failed some time ago after doing a Win7 update....
25
25

OT April Fool?

Current road signage system would also be scrapped under scheme nationalists say helps show country is 'part of Europe'

12
12

Magnets
I have a pair of swinging doors and thought about using disc magnets to help them close neatly. What's more important, diameter or depth? Or both?
6
6

Min distance between boiler terminal and cooker hood outlet
Am I correct in thinking that the min distance between a boiler (Potterton Suprima) terminal and a hob extractor is 300mm?
1
1

alternative to clout nails for roofing felt on child's playhouse?
Hi all I have been reassembling a wooden playhouse I bought s/hand recently. It had a felted roof and am working out the best way to re-felt it. As befits a playhouse the T&G roof panels are pretty...
17
17

Need a hand knob
I need a hand knob that will turn a 8mm hex bolt. Anyone know where I can buy such a thing? Cheers.
7
7

Is it raining dust?
It's not building site dust. The van was covered in it last night, this morning and this afternoon. Anyone else suffered from this?
36
36

LEDs obsolete?
Daan Roosegaarde, a designer from the Netherlands, is working with scientists at the State University of New York and a company called Bioglow to create 'trees' of GM glowing plants.
2
2

OT: Aerials on substations
Round here (West Midlands) lots of the power distribution substations are having yagi array style aerials fitted (look just like TV aerials). Anyone know what these are being used for ?
56
56

OT MSSE XP end of support nagging screens etc
With the demise of Microsoft support for Windows XP, they seem to be indulging in scare tactics in order to sell new systems. Time will no doubt tell if the security risks are really as great as they...
95
95

OT Amazing time lapse video.
11
11

Self repairing appliances
My front loader washing machine has been leaking on the floor for years. I have been waiting for the 30 year old machine to thrash itself to bits. Now the leak has stopped and the machine is going...
7
7