Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Mumsnet must be well informed
Just had the Scarborough warning off my Mum about damaging the bedroom carpet in Filey.
9
9

how noisy is a gas combi
Thinking of replacing oil boiler in garage with a gas combined in the airing cupboard. The airing cupboard is in the middle of the house up stairs and I was wondering how noisy are they in operation...
6
6

thermostatic mixer bar spares/repair
A mate's thermostatic bar mixer has decided to play up. The tap head spins without engaging with the innards. It seems the splines are stripped. He's taken these photos: reckon the splined part should...

TRVs on all radiators - conflicting advice
First, the problem. The coldest room in the house is the lounge but the radiator without the TRV is in the hall. We don't always want to heat the lounge, but when we do we can overheat the hall (and...
10
10

Can anyone explain this wiring?
I had a bit of trouble with out immersion heater the other day. For some unknown reason it came back to life whilst I was testing it but I was confused by the wiring in the switch. Take a look at this...
45
45

OT: maybe W8 (or W8.1) defrags SSDs even though it's not meant to
I stumbled across this an hour ago: (It's quite long, and quite detailed...) My impression is that the author does seem to have a good reason to believe that W8[.1] is not leaving SSDs alone, and that...
5
5

Cheap compound mitre saw
I'm going to be getting through a fair bit of sawing in the near future, so can definitely swing something through domestic management. But, long term, it's not going to get a LOT of use, so nothing...
38
38

None DIY day
I have two guys happily pumping expanding foam into our cavity walls today, they spent all yesterday drilling holes and cutting out air bricks. No noticeable smell as yet! Mike
23
23

flueless gas fire
Hello, I've moved into a house with a wall-hung flue less gas fire. I haven't had one of these before. I'm off to buy a CO detector but in the meantime, can you tell me about these? What colour is the...
19
19

Painting Oiled/Waxed Furniture
I have a piece of occasional furniture that I'm thinking of painting. The problem is that I think that its made from something like teak and has either been oiled or waxed (and I'm not sure how to...
3
3

Mice and plastic water pipes ? (2024 Update)
I'm about to run a mains feed to my garden which because of the configurati on of everything will run extensively through the attic space (single store y cottage). This looked like a good option in...
8
8

Flue liner problem. What to do? Longish
Advice appreciated please. Last autumn we installed 25ft of 7" flue liner to our woodburner. Woodburner is built into an old fireplace and not readily accessible. Existing flue swept thoroughly (we...
13
13

Yodel
Just witnessed a Yodel delivery van being push started in reverse down a narrow street with parked cars either side. Truly scary experience. They cannot be serious
22
22

Re: Nigel Evans says CPS should pick up 130, 000 legal bill
The CPS has no business looking for "patterns of behaviour". That's the police's job when looking who might be a likely suspect. "Patterns of behaviour" are not illegal. Acts are. And they've no...

Lidl cordless vacuum.
Got one of those today. Quite a powerful little unit and good value at 15 quid. Handy for giving the car a quick clean out or crumbs from the table etc. 'Bag' easy to empty. But it came with a two pin...
13
13