15mm bar to be pipe bending lever

I want to obtain a smooth metal bar to fit inside 15mm copper, to use as a lever when bending fairly near the end using a spring. Approx 40cm long. The widest bolts I have found are 12mm thick. Where could I acquire such an item ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

What about bending a bit further in, and then cutting the excess end off? That's what I do (with a proper pipe bender, not a spring).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Yes, thats what I (do) do. But sometimes it would save materials to work nearer the end. I just thought the lever would be a useful idea ... Also (just thought of this), I'd like to slip the bar inside a tube when using a pipe cutter to avoid the slight lip that is produced, that then impedes the spring. I would need a bar like the handle of a tool, rounded end etc. A pipe bender with exactly 15mm diameter handles would double up nicely ! I find a spring is useful for twisty bits, with various radiuses etc, when a pipe bender would be too cumbersome. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In article , sm snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes

I think the bar would be well and truly stuck inside the pipe if you did this.

Also I think if you used a bar to bend as you're suggesting, it might deform the end of the pipe.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

============= You could use a length of hardwood with a 15mm hole drilled in the end. This (fitted over the end of the tube) would be less likely to deform the tube than a metal bar, but if you want to try something metal use a long 13mm drill bit in the end of the tube.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

No it will just deform the end and make it unusable, stick to plan A

-
Reply to
Mark

Unless you heat the part to be bent, such a bar will simply distort the end and make it impossible to mate with a fitting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

Why support the outside of the pipe instead, then the spring can 'overlap' the pipe where it is supported.

Doesn't need to be a pipe either, some channel or a jig made of ply with some way of retaining the pipe would do.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C