Subject Author Posted Replies

Great difficulty cutting 18mm MDF with T101B jigsaw blade
Is there a recommended blade for cutting MDF? Using a new T101B, even with a fence, causes an uneven kerf and the blade seems to "bend" away from the board. Never had the problem sawing real wood.
30
30

Scottish independance and electricity
What's the point of these studies? Two new studies examine the UK energy market, and Scotland’s role in it, bearing in mind the forthcoming vote for Scottish independence. As James Hunt reports, the...
3
3

Tool rucksack
Anyone have any experience of using a tool rucksack? Any particularly good ones to recommend? Any features to look for?
6
6

Toughened glass
Looking to replace a broken pane of glass and checking prices on Google I noticed plenty of suppliers quoting for 4mm clear float and 4mm clear toughened. And giving instructions on how to price a...
15
15

Installing bathroom labour costs - Manchester...
What is a ballpark figure I can expect to pay to have someone install toilet, washbasin, bath, electric shower, extractor fan, lighting and all associated wiring, tiling and plumbing works in a 5'x9'...
3
3

Mobile phone batteries!..
You'd think this would be quite simple!. Need a new battery for my trusty olde Nokia 6303 mobile after all its been on its original since I bought it in 2009;!.. However seems that most on Amazon and...
5
5

BT Infinity - any catches?
My Dad got this letter last week and I am suggesting he goes ahead with it Anyone got any comments? http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/e/e0/002.JPG
31
31

TOT how not to DIY
Colin Bignell Rule #1: After putting the bomb in a hole, do not, repeat, do not tamp the ground too much. Rule #2: Do not forget Rule #1. The attached video of thermal footage was recorded from an...
15
15

Dow Corning 791
Hi all, Does anyone know if this stuff is suitable for sealing 6mm gaps between window frames and sills? (both uPVC). The spiel on the toob doesn't mention plastics at all. Just wondering.........

What's this dripping pipe?
I've got what looks like an overflow pipe at the side of my house that's dripping water, but I'm not sure what it is. There's no boiler or toilet on the other side of the wall where it is, and the...
10
10

Banana plugs and sockets for audio
Last time I investigated audio connections I was somewhat distracted by a long discussion of Speakon vs Jack Plug. Looking back, I realise that I was thinking of banana plugs - the ones that fit into...
15
15

surface mount - kitchen unit hinges
Has anyone come across a surface mount version of the type of hinges commonly used on kitchen units please? I need an hinge which 'throws' a door out and clear of the carcass, as it opens.
6
6

YWS stool
I purchased a YWS folding stool from Amazon. It broke the first time she folded it. The plastic is too thin and too brittle. I'll re-engineer the broken hinge for her, but I'd recommend avoiding this...

Under kitchen surface hot water storage heaters
Just come back from a trip where there was no kettle only an extra, small hot tap, lever operated, mounted alongside the regular tap on the sink. It did work extremely well. However, to get the water...
3
3

Identifying a thread
Bought a new wakeboard and the screws in previous wakeboard don't fit the tapped holes in new boards ... previous screws were 1/4" x 20 UNC The threads in the new board appear to be 26 tpi on 0.2295"...
13
13