Subject Author Posted Replies

Même le français peut foutre en l'air
The French train operator SNCF has discovered that 2,000 new trains it ordered at a cost of 15bn euros are too wide for many regional platforms.
7
7

VM landline fault - no ring tone
The Virgin fixer is due tomorrow hopefully he'll fix it :-) but can someone tell me what the likely fault is (no ringtone). Yes the phone ringer is -on- and I've tried 2 other phones - still no RT....
16
16

Slowing a celing fan
I have a celing fan in the bedroom, it's remote controlled with 3 speeds selected from the remote as well as the light brightness, Unfortunately the lowest speed setting is a little too fast and...
31
31

Cavity wall mess
When they do cavity wall insulation, do they always drill about 30 holes in the side of the house? I've never had it done myself as this house already had it, but my neighbour (2 storey semi-detached...
60
60

What are they called ?
I need some screwed fixings that are like kitchen cabinet connector bolts but much shorter (for material thicknesses of 3-5mm) - what are they called and where can I buy some?
4
4

Pipe gradients for kitchen sink.
I have a kitchen sink (and dishwasher) that is some distance from the gulley. I can find web pages that recommend 1 in 40 to 1 in 120 as the range of gradients that work best on the grounds that...
8
8

What was photographer doing?
On a recent holiday I saw a photographer fiddling with his camera and tripod. He was positioning it with great care. He took a photo and then carefully moved it toward his subject by a couple of...
18
18

Rebuilding a 2ft garden retaining wall
Hi- I'm finally getting round to the garden, which is on 2 levels, about 2 foot apart, separated by a stairway and a retaining wall that has collapsed. I want to rebuild the 2 foot high retaining...
11
11

Puncture repair in lawn tractor YAY!
Pumped up front tyre AGAIN and heard hissing noise. Oh Dear 6" nail through the tyre. Which I pulled out. After various abortive attempts this is what actually worked. I deflated the tyre till there...
4
4

Epson inkjet printer
Anyone know how to get at the paper feed on a photo RX 420? Before anyone says.... I do have a replacement on order! My problem is the 2+ sets of now unusable ink cartridges:-( The early symptoms were...
16
16

Car tyre pump
I am looking for a car tyre pump. I find the idea of using my car to power a pump unappealing. Two pumps I am considering are the Michelin two cylinder foot pump and the Ring RAC750 mains powered...
40
40

How to cut a plank diagonally on a table saw?
How can I set up my table saw to cut planks diagonally so as to produce two long triangles? mark
27
27

RYOBI Battery Charger
I bought a RYOBI ExpandIt hedge trimmer, chain saw etc. .... and it works very well. The unit is also capable of Electric start ... so added the RYOBI 12V NicCad pack ... BPH-1215 1300mAh Also bought...
8
8

Minor car repair,
With the exception of electrics/electronics, I'm rubbish at car DIY, so I'd greatly appreciate advice please. This illustration of the N/S front wing of my 1996 BMW 2.8 SE shows a section of about 3"...
57
57

Which plasterboard fixing
Was asked to fit a couple of IKEA LACK shelves - the floating kind of shelf with hidden fixings. Anyways it seems that these no longer come with any fixings - the instructions just exhort one to...
22
22