Subject Author Posted Replies

Aldi active energy battery
I have a drill and impact driver with a 20/40V 5.Ah battery that has had little use. I am very pleased with the drill and driver which replaced ryobi nimh powered ones that I had re celled already...
8
8

Optimal heating times for central heating system operation
News about the ever-spiraling energy costs prompted me to wonder: is there any data available about optimal length-of-time,time of day operation of a central heating system purely to keep the house...
17
17

OT (but science ...)
Making a cup of coffee for myself, and tea for SWMBO, I was intrigued that when stirring it sounded like the pitch of the teaspoon tinkling the cup was rising in my coffee as the milk dispersed but...
46
46

Thunderbird filters
I would seem to have got Thunderbird installed and working, plus I think I like what I see, but I am struggling with use of the filters... I am filtering Rod Speed out, on his email address (plus...
4
4

Looking for replacement for my Titan 10.8v cordless
My hard-worked Titan 10.8v cordless drill has a faulty switch, I've ordered a replacement (from China) but meanwhile I'm looking for a replacement/spare. There's not a lot available at the same sort...
2
2

OT Electrical Summer Holiday job
Swapping two crap DBs in a school. What wanker designed this? http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/4/4b/DBSwap.jpg http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/4/4b/DBSwap.jpg
10
10

Nearly worn out my mouse.
Deleting all the rubbish on here.
16
16

Postcrete - is it strong enough for 12 foot gate post?
I've a hole with a metal post in it, around 30 inches deep, i'm hanging a 12 foot field gate on it. I like the idea of putting a bucket or 2 of water in the hole and dumping a couple of bags of...
12
12

Fused Spur with Alexa or Similar
Folks, Was looking to "smart" my immersion but can't seem to find a fused spur unit with WiFi. Does any one make one? Dave
16
16

Plumbing size for 2 metre long galvanised farm water trough?
I'm not at home at the moment with zero tools and zero accurate measuring devices...... What is likely to be the pipe fitting in a 2 metre long galvanised farm water trough? The tank is brand new and...
6
6

ebay sign-in being difficult (2023 Update)
Just tried signing in to Ebay to place a bid on something I've been watching for a few days. It thinks I'm signing in from a different computer (which I'm not) and it's asking me to confirm my...
7
7

Internet has been off
....for the last 24 hours. Came up about 5:15 very slow at 55kb/s@5: 40 speed up to 550kb/s....seems as if it is finding the fastest route over time. No information of course.
2
2

fan boosted radiator - how well does it work? Useful for heat pump?
A few years ago I saw an advert for a small fan+duct which blew air through the fins of a radiator. The idea was to get more heating power. Has anyone used this system, and how well did it work? I...
74
74

Carpentry - two problems left
1) I need to route a groove along the edges of several furniture boards into which a 5 or 6mm backing sheet can lie. I wondered if there was some kind of jig I could employ together with an electric...
10
10

Converting VW van - is chassis a reliable earth for site mains feed?
My neighbour (an electrical contractor) is converting his van into a mobile home. He's put in multiplt leisure batteries, led lights, 2000W inverter , etc. Etc. His earth just clamps to the chassis...
2
2