Subject Author Posted Replies

Tank thermostat
Curious! Said Alice. Idly turning the setting dial on a *just out of the box* Danfoss cylinder thermostat I could clearly hear the switch changing over. The curious bit is that my office temperature...
13
13

MDF shabby-chic garden sign -protecting the MDF?
Got a "shabby chic" garden sign which is made from mdf. I want to protect it from the elements with some sort of varnish but I think it has to be sealed first? The sign will hang on a wall in the...
6
6

Old CO2 cylinders: what to do with them?
Having a clearout, I've unearthed a couple of empty 250g CO2 cylinders from a SodaStream machine. Turns out they are now obsolete as far as Sodastream are concerned, as their new machines use a...
23
23

Panic over - the house isn't burning down afterall...
Tools down; I've just got to share this with you. I'm in the process of fitting an inline fan to some existing flexile inside a ceiling. I've opted to cut a hole in the floor above to lower the fan in...
4
4

Today's Freecycle
4. OFFER - Caravan Door - Thurston From: R B. 5. OFFER - Black macbook Battery (broken) - Thurston From: R B. I'll be right there!
17
17

Cordless Drill
I am looking at getting a new cordless drill: budget up to £200. Obviously I have looked elsewhere for reviews/comments etc. But I would value suggestions based on experience please. (What are...
39
39

Is this likely?
Chatting to a neighbour today, he said his lodger's Honda car had its catalytic converter stolen while it was parked up overnight outside his house on the street. I'd have thought doing this in the...
23
23

[OT] Roku/Netflix - naughty naughty
Just got a Roku 3 internet media settop box as they were 20 quid off on Amazon. It seems very smooth - except for one thing. Either Roku or the Netflix app for it is hardcoding a secondary DNS of...
5
5

Soldering tails
In another web forum I follow, someone has suggesting that tinning heavy duty stranded cables prior to use in a grub screw connector is a good idea. (In this case, for a 12V DC supply to an inverter)...
50
50

DNSProblem
A friend could not access the inet but could get emails. Whenever he tried a search engine, Google or Yahoo, he was told Internet Explorer was out of date and needed upgrading. Needless to say he...
9
9

Socket set storage Q
I have a very good 1/2" and 3/8 socket sets ... MM/AF/WW Both are 100% in terms of items & functionality .. Both are in nice metal boxes ... but inside the metal box is a 'chocolate box' like plastic...
27
27

Another retaining wall question
I live on the side of a steep hill. All the gardens are terraced with retaining walls to support the various levels. One section of my terrace is supported by an old, sturdy, stone retaining wall...
8
8

Expansion along woodburner flue
We've got a woodburner in an outbuilding which I'm currently refurbishing. Whether the stove itself's ever really been used since it was installed out there, I have no idea - probably not, or very...
18
18

Computer security and Malware
I'm asking here because seems pretty much moribund, and there are people here who will know. Security of home computers seems to be much in the news lately, with hackers getting more adept at doing...
38
38

LED dimming re-visited
A few months ago I tried some of the LED Hut dimmable GU10's I knew my "old" dimmer wouldn't be suitable for the low power of LEDs, so also bought an MK trailing edge, LED specific dimmer The...