Subject Author Posted Replies

ceiling pull-switch wiring question
I'm replacing a 1-way ceiling pull-switch in my hallway which controls a light outside my front door. The old one had one black and one blue wire, twisted together in the COM slot, and one red wire in...
16
16

Electricians gloves type of question...
Has anyone worked on 26kv live electrics using polyco gloves and survived? AFAIK even a drop of sweat running down the glove would be enough to cause an arc. I wouldn't trust them myself.
14
14

Interstitial condensation - how DOES it work?
OK - I have a dormer end wall that's as manky as shite. 3x3" verticals at various spacings between 1-2 ft. Random noggins. Dodgey nailing and many previous repairs and extra bits of wood nailed in....
6
6

Donkey power?
"Herdsmen in Turkey are tethering solar panels to their donkeys to power their internet sessions." Is this for real? It looks awfully staged and the journalist says that they can generate 5-7 kW from...
25
25

Making twisted cable
Hi peeps, I am wiring in an intercom system from my gate intercom to the house. It is a video intercom and uses non screened twisted cables. The manufacturer recommends this- Which, for the 100m i...
62
62

I'm back!
Has anyone else been cut off from News groups for the past 3 weeks? After many contacts to my providers they came back with this last week; "Many apologies for all of the previous discussion on the...
30
30

Resistor power rating
I have just swapped out the electronic temperature controller in my mum's fridge, as the old one had failed, and was appearing to brown out when it tried to turn the compressor on, so it would reset...
25
25

Sprit level tolerance
On the subject of spirit levels... I bought a 2 metre Stanley spirit level recently, if I put it on something showing level when it's one way round, it's about 5mm out when turned around. I suspect...
17
17

Time for a new spirit level
Went to do some work yesterday .. and things were going wrong ... then found my trusty 1.2m Stabila Spirit level was more than 5 degrees out ! I have not dropped it ... not to say someone else hasn't...
7
7

Which one of you ...
... has nicked my large straight-blade red-handled screwdriver? OTOH, I did find my soft-headed hammer I lost ~3 years ago. It was on the roof.
51
51

Driveway Cost
Hi all Totally OT I know but here goes... Has the price of block paving suddenly rocketed in the past couple of years? I was talking to a new neighbour recently who had got quotes from a few of the...
3
3

Wiring Immersion Heater
The plumber doing some work on the cylinder commented on wing the immersion heater through a double pole switch rather than the single pole spur switch. He mentioned the heating from the high load of...
45
45

Socket positioning
I am pretty sure this has been answered before but I cannot seem to find the topic either here or in the wiki. What are the current regulations for the positioning of sockets above floor level and...
4
4

O/T power cuts and 3 day week around the 1970s
Hi all, Can anyone remind me about the power cuts in the 1970s please? Did the power cuts begin in September 1972 ? Were they They3 hours on & 3 hours off ? Then the 3 day week began in January in...
119
119

Hoarding issues
I want to move a drop leaf table out and up into another room but it appears to be full of betamax video tapes, Sony, Maxell, Basf, Even Woolies own brand, Agfa and all sorts. Is there anyone who...
8
8