Subject Author Posted Replies

EDF sues French government over electricity sales
"The state-controlled nuclear giant EDF has launched a legal claim against the French government for more than EUR8.0 billion (USD8.2 billion) in lost earnings resulting from the order to sell more...
18
18

Pillocks HA HA
2
2

fix leak in lead pipe water supply
I finally tracked down the source of water ingress into our basement to a pin prick hole in the lead service pipe just where it enters the building. I've made a temporary repair with a small self...
40
40

Olivia Newton John
Sad to hear that Livvy died she was only a year older than myself. Born in Cambridge and emigrated with her Parents to Australia when her father, a scientist got a job over there. I met her once...
25
25

Clip electric to wall foundations underground?
Would it be OK to clip the electric feed to our new septic tank along a house wall but a foot underground? From the corner of the house it will go underground to the new septic tank. I have pipes to...
1
1

[OT] Power cut and strange noise
A day or two ago, I was in the shower, lights and extractor fan on and window open; SWMBO was on the other side of the house near an open window. The electricity supply went off - lights dimmed and...
12
12

External shutter ideas?
Hi, I am in NW Scotland so in the winter there is not much daylight. Short of cutting some Kingspan to size and slotting it into the window openings each evening to save heat, are there any nifty heat...
4
4

Inflation
Just noticed the prices of replacement UPVC windows advertised in the Sussex Local magazine that we get for free monthly. I've been cutting out and keeping the page that this company pays for its...
1
1

Temporary insulation over plastic veranda roof?
We have a decking area with a loping plastic roof on timber bearers. Internal measurements for each panel are roughly 2.3 meters * 1.02 meters. I'm interested in the 5 main panels. Most of the year...
7
7

Damp barrier
Some insulation has a fair bit of damage to the foil, so need to add damp blocking on the paint layer. Is shellac impermeable enough?
19
19

External PIR to be active for only 4 hours per day
I'm looking to set up an external infrared PIR with a 24 hour timer so that it will operate an alarm between the hours of midnight and 4am each day. The alarm will be powered through a relay connected...
15
15

Thunderbird - reading posts shortcut keys
Hi, Having moved to TB, because of the less adequate filters of the newsreader I was using - TB's filters work very well indeed and I am slowly finding my way around it, except for one issue. The F or...
7
7

Newsreader for iPad
I tend to use my iPad to access uk.d-i-y using Google Groups but the recent infestation has highlighted the shortcomings of using Google Groups. I have signed up to Eternal September but find I have...
8
8

Dimmable LED ES golf ball
Trying to replace a halogen bulb (probably 10 years old) which just blew. After some searching I found my way back to LED hut, where I got the normal size BC dimmable LEDs (100W equivalent) a while...
21
21

OT Apprentice tried to get me into trouble
So the lazy little bastard called the MD to say I was having a go at him and bullying him. I was because he was not pulling his weight. So the MD drives up to Leyburn and makes an unexpected visit....
45
45