Subject Author Posted Replies

Cutting up RSJs with a circular saw!
We were discussing various ways of chopping up RSJs and other weighty bits of steel on another thread, but no one suggested THIS method! (don't panic, the relevant part is in the first minute)
10
10

How am I meant to paint the stonework in this bloody weather?
I've been trying to paint round the windows, door etc with Johnstone's Stormshield Pliolite for past few days. But I can't get the bloody stuff to brush out before it dries. Roller's no better on the...
13
13

Headboard with adjustable backrest?
Been racking my tiny brain for a while over this. I want to make a rectangular, plywood, double bed with two top hinged upholstered panels, each of which pulls out independently at the bottom to form...
22
22

Very OT - Lockheed Constellation
Does anybody know if the sole flying example in the Northern Hemisphere was appearing at an airshow this weekend? I'm sure I saw one flying along the South Coast this lunchtime. My guess would be it...
35
35

When is a Square not a Square?
When it's one of these: 0.61 degrees out. We've learned from a previous thread there's such a thing as a "Chinese ton" so perhaps there's a "Chinese degree" as well. In fact if *everything,...
4
4

When is a ruler double sided ?
I went hunting for a 1 metre long double sided etched stainless ruler. Specifically etched as my current printed one can no longer be read, and specifically double sided so I can measure sheet metal...
37
37

Radiator valve to plastic pipe
Does anyone know where to get these: It's an Altech TRV (easy bit) with a 15mm to 10mm (I think) plastic pipe elbow (difficult bit). The elbow directs the pipe behind the radiator, which is what I'm...
5
5

Another two central heating Q's - timber notches and feed pipes routing
Yet another Q for pending central heating install. I need to run the 22 mm flow and return across all the wooden timbers under the 1st floor rooms (a 50's 3 bed semi). Making the notches is ok but...
10
10

Unsolicited calls - fight back
I don't know if this idea might have any mileage, but.... Some of these callers leave a genuine number on caller ID. If they do, I always ring them back on the chance it might have been a genuine call...
25
25

OT(?):Sainsbury's store powered by food waste
A Sainsbury's superstore is being powered directly by its own food waste, the first time a retailer has come off the National Grid to power a store. The store at Cannock, Staffordshire, already sends...
3
3

gardening
hi I used to have a lawn edging tool, electric powered, for cutting between the concrete path and the lawn, getting old I decided to get another, put can't seem to locate one, any body know of a...
6
6

Rigid plastic conduit.
I'm just starting to put the wires through this stuff and IMO the bends are designed by idiots. It is not possible to put a fish tape through as there are shoulders in the bend mouldings, so it is...
9
9

Good eyelet punch
Need to insert some eyelets in a Gazebo canopy we use. Purchased one on eBay which was a piece of shite. The punch type cutter wouldn't cut the material and the eyelets and eyelet washers were like...
11
11

pipe for Pug 406 aircon system
Just tried to order condenser high pressure pipe for my 2000 Pug 406 and told it's obsolete. Bastards. The existing one is leaking where the pipe meets the flange that bolts onto the condenser. It's...
2
2

Holes for posts
I have to make a series of holes for fence posts, in ground that's extremely stony: basically it's a mix of clay and shingle. I've manually dug holes in the past and it's very hard going, so I'm...
36
36