Subject Author Posted Replies

Central heating header tank question
Our CH header tank doesn't normally cause concern, but last week, while draining the system to check the inside of my 3-way valve (I suspected the ball wasn't sealing properly), I discovered a brown...
6
6

Cast iron downpipe sizes
Does anyone know whether cast iron downpipes (from gutters, not soil) are measured on the internal or external diameter? I need to repalce a short run, and bit I have is about 80mm external diameter...
21
21

P&B vices (2023 Update)
Does anyone know about P&B who made carpenter's and engineer's vices. The markings on the one I have indicates that they were made in England but no other clues. I have trawled the internet but cant...
3
3

Advice on recent insulation
I got the free loft insulation 2 years ago, the foot deep stuff on the attic floor, however I have been in recent communication with the supplier as I also have insulation on the underside of the...
2
2

Hammerite
Using Hammerite Smooth finish on a some box & angle steel additions to a box trailer. Previously the instructions said re-coat within 4 Hrs or leave for 6 weeks. It no longer says that ... just that...
13
13

painting metal railings
Over the years I have used Hammerite to paint the railing around our balcony but it seems to last just 3 or 4 years. Does anyone know of a metal paint that is more durable than Hammerite? Thank you
7
7

Cash & Carry
I can sort of understand why a C&C might want to restrict membership to traders, but why do they grant membership to people from various professions? What's in it for them?
28
28

slate chippings for driveway
Dear all, Have been somewhat losing interest in a resin-bound gravel solution to replacing a drive. The original drive was pea-shingle on bitumen but the loose shingle tended to migrate all over the...
22
22

60/70s style cement coping stones !
My sister would like to repair about 3M of these old coping stones but so far I've not found them on any sites. They're the style with a top section, like an upturned shallow bowl with a flat rim and...
19
19

Bl**dy UPS
Waited in for them today - costs me a parking pass. Someone else was at the door earlier, so doorbell works. As it always does, being wired and fed from the mains. Found a card from them - the parcel...
42
42

Stainless splashback behind induction hob
That's not a problem, is it? Sanity check really... Not sure how ferro-magnetic the steel is (did not have a magnet to hand). The steel is covering the wall about 30-40mm behind the back edge of the...
4
4

OTish, miele vacs
Anyone noticed that the price of miele vacs has dropped through the floor? You can by one for double that not long ago. I bought an S4 yesterday and they still appear to be well made.
28
28

Weather - jet stream chart
I was poking around for weather forecasts and found the Metcheck website which I'd used some years ago and for some reason moved to another. Interestingly they show this chart but although they give...
15
15

Re: Bottom of a drilled hole in metal
Lack of rigidity in the feed of the drill can also cause it to run away and get worse. Sometime reducing the cutting angle of the drill by applying a grinding wheel to the inner edge of the flute will...
5
5

grohe thermostatic shower prob
Elderly grohe built in thermostatic shower valve has no temperature adjustment following a retile of the shower enclosure.... All that occurred was the two knobs were removed & fascia plate, retile,...
8
8