Subject Author Posted Replies

take scrap but no pay
I have a few old car batteries and copper piping (all my own stuff) and thought to take it to a scrappy - maybe get something for it. I've no idea if it's worth the effort but what the heck. Anyway...
20
20

Wasp nest in planter
There's a wasp next in the garden, near a seating area so a bit of a problem. It's in a wooden planter and all I can see is a gap in the foliage with wasps coming out - the nest itself is presumably...
38
38

Sealing around bathroom pedastel
I have an interlocking tiled floor in my bathroom - laid professionally about two years ago - and an excellent job. I have now seen that water is managing to seep between sealant around pedestal and...
2
2

How daft can yer get?
Fitted a new fog light to the motorhome, having bashed the old one off by reversing into an embankment. Tested it. "Oh, it's very bright! Oh bugger! It's gone out!" "Blow me down! The bulb appears to...
6
6

slower is faster
Using a jig saw on aluminium sheet, I've found that with the saw on the slowest speed it progresses through the metal faster. Bill
4
4

Remote touch dimmer wanted
I've got a touch dimmer switch in my bedroom and it has a massive infrared remote control with PP3 battery. It's about 25 years old and seems to have died. I'd like a replacement just like it but all...

OT: Woman sets house on fire while trying to kill a spider
I'm speechless
26
26

What is the name for a shower tray with upright edges?
Looking for a shower tray for someone. When I was doing my shower ~15 years ago, there were trays with vertical edges designed to go up behind the wall panels, but I can't find them now, probably...
4
4

CH joints
I know very little about many things and plumbing is near the top of the list. Long story, but simple question. My son has this largish late 50's/early 60's house in need of some work. He has ripped...
40
40

Paint panelled wooden doors - anything better than Dulux Weathershield?
I am working on a pair of double storm doors in Edinburgh, made around 1897. They are almost stripped and sanded ready for a paint system. In the past I have always used Dulux Weathershield - is there...
10
10

Replacing downlighters
MIL had about a dozen of those 12v halogen mini downlighters set into the living room ceiling. (Oh, and another dozen elsewhere!) We are going to have to replace them all, because she smoked heavily,...
8
8

Spotlight fittings.
I'd like some nice looking but small spotlight fittings in perhaps brushed stainless steel. Wall fitting and adjustable. Something that used a lamp the size of a GU10 would be nice, but I need...

What does this double clamp do?
It's about 6" tall and appears to be able to clamp something flat and something round at the same time. The brand is ACME and it is made of brass. Anyone know what it is used for?
13
13

MR16 Lamps
I have a fitting with 4 MR16 lamps and I would like ot consider changing to LEDs. In the base is a round transformer. Am I right in thinking that I need a certain minimum load on this and I may have...
1
1

Central heating header tank question
Our CH header tank doesn't normally cause concern, but last week, while draining the system to check the inside of my 3-way valve (I suspected the ball wasn't sealing properly), I discovered a brown...
6
6