Subject Author Posted Replies

Painting an Oil Tank
Can you just use any ordinary paint on a plastic oil tank? Mine has some bl ooming of the original green colour going white on topside, and I'd like to paint it dark green again. Spraying would be...
1
1

Skirting boards with channels for cabling
I was looking for a way to run a phone wire and maybe some other cables round a number of rooms and thought about placing the cables behind the skirting. The made-for-purpose trunking I found looks...
21
21

Shower pump flow switch
My Stuart Turner monsoon shower pump, installed about ten years ago, sometimes continues running after the water flow stops. To stop it I have to give a few sharp taps with a hammer near the...
4
4

Asbestos mask?
I want to remove the stippling effect on my 1970s ceilings. I've looked closely at it and it appears to be a whitish matt paint, applied thinly (apart from the spikes of the stippling) onto flat...
20
20

OT Only one job to do today and the Vulcan Bomber
So I will time the job for 3pm when the Vulcan takes off close to back of the house I am working at - and I'll take the gf's lad to see it. BTW the Vulcan will be in Bournemouth at about 4pm if anyone...
36
36

OT - Scared Scientists: The Moving Portraits Which Will Change Forever Your Views on Climate Change
[Embedded links at site] Scared Scientists: The Moving Portraits Which Will Change Forever Your Views on Climate Change August 28, 2014 by James Delingpole First they showed us the melt"Yeah. It's...
4
4

OT "Implosion techology"
If you want a laugh. Perfect example of pseudoscience. GC talk - Review on the Game: City of Heroes
8
8

mahogany 3x2
Took down a partition with a friend the other day. Came away with what I think is mahogany 3x2 in various lengths. Was going to chop and burn in stove... is it saleable as is? Has Nail holes etc but...
7
7

Garden Pond
I'm not sure what I'm asking, except that if anyone can recommend someone in the Chester/Wirral/Liverpool area, I'd be very keen to hear of them. Son, whose house is in bits for cabling, plumbing,...
9
9

Offer: Bed Slats
In clearing out the loft I have come across something that several people here have asked about - bed slats. I have a boxful of unused Ikea Sultan slats, including the plastic bits. Anyone who would...

Running adjacent ethernet and mains cables?
I'm currently installing the fixed wiring for our AV setup in the living room. I need to run mains cabling for the sockets as well as CAT5E cable for the Tivo box/smart TV; basically these both need...
48
48

Perks of the job
Bloke a few houses away is some sort of overhead engineer for E.on, just noticed he's using the cherry picker on their van to lop his trees!
10
10

some good news anyway
Hitachis ABWR clearing the first regulatory hurdles... The third stage of the generic design assessment (GDA) for the Advanced Boiling Water Reactor (ABWR) is to begin in September after regulators...
8
8

Seal between shower tray and floor
I offered to install a shower tray for someone. The tray sits directly on the floor joists, and the rim will be level with the floor surface assuming it's tiles on 18mm ply (and as belt and braces, I...
1
1

OT browser Norton issue
Still on XP so worried! All I remember is clicking on an Flashplayer upgrade download. Firefox stalled, Norton switched off apologetically, explorer appears to load but then won't work or switch off....
34
34