Subject Author Posted Replies

[OT] Cheap UK rail tickets - a myth?
In article , James Harris scribeth thus Yep but in this case bus from Aberdeen city centre around an hour wait at Dyce airport then fast check in all quite quick in that instance..
22
22

Misting DG window and drilling glass
We have a DG PVC-framed window that's just started to mist up. Many years ago, I read that if you drill a couple of small holes through the _outer_ pane, it allows the condensation to clear, but this...
37
37

fishing cable from new outside porch light to inside porch
I have a small outside porch which has an existing wall switch and internal light. The porch roof is a slanted and covered with concrete tiles. I would like to fit an outside light on the wall...
5
5

Stripping and painting a Victorian external door
There is an external door at one side of our house, that we never use. Judging by the state of it, neither has anyone else for the last hundred years or so. This afternoon, I bravely applied the hot...
7
7

Tumble dryer - energy efficiency
Is a new tumble dryer likely to be more efficient and offer much of a cost saving as compared to the 25+ year old one that I have now? The dryer lives in my detached garage so there is minimal benefit...
27
27

FM aerial repair
FM radio reception has gone to pot, and when I look up at the aerial it's not surprising. :-) Obviously it's broken but is there something missing? The sort I'm used to has three parallel elements,...
39
39

New Dell Latitude for linux
[uk.d-i-y because there are just as many people there who might have an opinion on this] What would you choose: Dell E6440, i5-5310M with Radeon HD8690M graphics but only 802.11a/b/g/n WIFI or Dell...
21
21

Aldi lathe
Just for interest: Aldi have a lathe coming up for sale on 7 September. It can apparently handle a 1m piece of work. Price is ?90. It seems they had a lathe for sale this time last year. I don't know...

Hunting generator
I have an 8 year old 2.2 kva Chinese petrol generator. It hasn't had much use but from early on it had a habit of the engine revs rising and falling rhythmically. This soon settled down once load was...
4
4

A new front door - DIY or not?
Is it worth a DIYer putting in a new front door or is the job so difficult that it's worth paying for an installer? The doorway gap that this is for is on the small side, 2010 height by 825mm width....
23
23

Well informed shop assistants
Yesterday I went to a village store, in an area that I don't normally shop, to buy some cleaning products for my parents kitchen. I was looking for something along the lines of Viakal, which they...
9
9

Screwfix predictions - Payleven Chip & Pin
The Screwfix daily deals seem to be, erm, less daily than they used to be, and not showing up on the UKDIY Screwfix Predictor :-( However Thursday appears to be Super Fresco wallpaper Friday appears...
2
2

New Bullshit - Flowsave. Get one now
Biggest piece of bullshite I've seen since magnetic water softeners - oh, you can buy one of them from the same stockists. What a surprise. http://www.guardian-solutions.net/content/flowsave
29
29

central heating - radiator weights
Is ~180 kg of steel rad. (without water) ok to hang on a single brick wall which itself sits on top of a double glazed uPVC bay window? (It's 4 small rads in fact).
7
7

Central heating water query
Daughter's house - I'm not sure that the radiator in the spare bedroom has ever been fitted since the a***e of a partner she was living with then inst alled the CH system. One bit of good judgement is...
8
8