Subject Author Posted Replies

DIY Frankenvac
Did you know, that a Dyson DC05/08 motor fits nicely into the casing of a Nilfisk GM90? It works bloody well, too. A big finger up to the ripoff bastards with their over-priced spares.
11
11

OT: Come Duncing QI DVD
Hi - I know this is not DIY, but there seem to be people here who have knowledge of a lot of issues. I've just seen the QI DVD "Come Duncing" - in which Steven Fry asks questions and teams compete...
3
3

OT; where the 'kinell have they gone?
OK, giving my inbox a tidy up. I'm using Thunderbird. I have a folder called 'Wendy'. I sort my e mails by name, select all of them from Wendy and drag them to the 'Wendy' folder. Now they have...
9
9

Recommendations for Nuvi 50 Beanbag mount
I need to mount my Nuvi 50 onto my VW Polo dash, which is the best mount please?
4
4

Brennenstuhl Robust Fluorescent Inspection Lamp Repair
I just wanted to put this out there so someone in a similar situation can fix theirs. I dropped mine from about a meter and a half and it went out. Ordered a new bulb for it as i assumed that would be...
1
1

Toolstation
Looks like Toolstation is trying to lose the small customers. Only selling Fluorescent tubes in 10s and lots of plumbing fittings in 25s. Bit shortsighted IMO as many tradesmen don't have the storage...
15
15

Architects playpen
New estate near me. Have a look at; The horizontal cladding is uPVC. The green vertical cladding is 9mm ply with 3" x 3" PAR softwood screwed on (screw heads exposed), then painted. Can't imagine what...
20
20

plasterboard
Lath and plaster stud wall circa 1905. I've taken down the lath and plaster of one side of a dividing wall to be left with the underlying stud work where, on average, the vertical studs are...
3
3

Levelling a hearth
Just had my daughter on the phone - at least she is the practical one that can wield a tape measure reliably, and is reasonably savvy about doing some things herself. Anyway she wants her unused...
8
8

EU appliance power regulation again
Another article on EU appliance power regulation Kettles are on the list. However they are going to run tests on the possible savings. The fact that kettles are even on the list shows the level of...
16
16

Metal paint
Noticed in Aldi today, that they have solvent based paint for sale at I think £4.99/L.
3
3

Lasers - was 'LED bulbs damage the eyes?"
Hugh's question reminded me to ask this question: how dangerous are laser pointer "toys"? AFAIK you can't buy them in this country, but they're easily available elsewhere, and when we were in Canada...
15
15

patio edging
Getting ready to sort out the patio. I have read the paving expert site (several times over the years !). The slabs will are decent moulded ones, 45mm thick in various sizes. Part of the patio will be...
3
3

OT: Some good news for Harry?
Researchers at Glasgow University have claimed a breakthrough in producing hydrogen fuel from water. They said their process is fast, clean and cheap. It can store energy from the sun and wind....
29
29

LED bulbs damage the eyes?
I seem to remember reading this somewhere. Can anyone tell me if it's true or not? Hugh
34
34