Subject Author Posted Replies

Energy Performance Certificate - new one needed?
We have a house that we let out through an agency. A few years ago when it became law to have an Energy Performance Certificate for houses, the agency wanted to charge us £100 to provide one for us....
42
42

PING TMHM: Bottom entry bog cistern inlet valve
Got to help a relly out - Couple of questions: Current one is sealed in with some sort of gunk on the bottom entry hole. After I've scraped that off, what's a recommended sealant to use? Fernox LS-X...
13
13

The real reason for lower powered vacuum cleaners..
is so that whatever the EU sweeps under the carpet, stays there.
15
15

Loose screws
No, I'm not referring to you lot ;-) A friend has metal-framed windows, aluminium I think, the screws for one window handle are loose because the thread on the window is worn. Even though there is...
27
27

Ping F - was Duxford Airshow good?
As per subject.
30
30

Shed floor - 11 or 18mm OSB3
I'm overlining my shed floor with 50mm celotex and some sheet material. OSB3 seems cost effective and I know it will not mind a bit of damp or spilled water. So, on top of well supported celotex -...
7
7

booster pump
Hi, I have recently replaced an old booster pump, which was well nackered, with a new Clarke CBM250SS. I had hoped to reuse the current plumbing as entry/exit were in the same places BUT the...
2
2

What screws for wet plasterboard equivalents?
Standard drywall screws rust very quickly when used in the wet. Any recommendations for screws for the water resistant versions of plasterboard? One of the boards I looked at had its own screws, but...
19
19

OT Renewabe Energy
20% of UK energy from renewables. Renewables now supply one fifth of energy – up 43 per cent in a single year
14
14

HDMI dropout problem
Since there were so many knowledgeable answers in the HDMI cables thread, I thought I'd ask this here. My AV setup is as follows: Sources: Sky+ HD, Dune media player and Panasonic DMR 85750 BluRay...
7
7

Worktop / wall trim
I'm after around 5 metres of the style of trim illustrated below. I've found a couple of examples online, one in the UK and one on the continent, who I emailed to see if there was a UK stockist but...
1
1

What are these (electrical)?
Switchfuses? Switches? Probably installed around 1961. The questionmark items are the white box far left, and the 2 black boxes left above the old black fusebox at the bottom. Dog's dinner isnt it. NT
31
31

HDMI cables What's the difference between...
A ?2 lead 'v' ?52 lead. If they work on a digital signal, to my thinking either they work or they don't, I can't think of how they'd be different. Are they? mark
75
75

Sockets in skirting?
I'm about to board some walls and wondering about sockets. It seems perfectly logical to mount them in a tall skirting, I can do them at a point in the future rather than anticipating their position...
42
42

Aldi stud detectors and lath and plaster
I see Aldi have a stud detector listed for a tenner tomorrow (Sunday). Has anyone tried one of these for lath and plaster (which is typically thicker than PB)? I'm in the market for one and was just...
5
5