Subject Author Posted Replies

Power shower: Something one can install oneself?
I can wire a plug. Before it became illegal, I put in 13A spurs (extra sockets) in my own house. I've put in new sinks, soldered Yorkshire fittings. I am a concientious DIY-er. But a power shower? It...
40
40

Has anyone built a lightbox?
I've been asked to build an A3 size lightbox by a lady who is doing a botanical art course and has need of such for tracing leaf shapes and the likes onto paper. I can get what is billed as suitable...
18
18

cartridge v. wire fuse?
There is an fault in the mains supply to the electric heaters in the community hall for which I am responsible. The heaters are fed from an off-peak meter via a time switch. This switch is not...
4
4

working on gas.
My gas supplier has turned the gas off at the meter saying there's a a leak or the system needs tightening. Currently there's a 0.5 milli bar 'leak' in 2 mins. which he says is within limits but...
61
61

TV/HD/Sky Qs
Hi all I have a Sony Bravia 32" TV and have been watching the Free-to-View standard Sky channels. The DIY bit is that I set the dish and cabling up having inherited it from emigrating friends! The TV...
24
24

16A fan oven
I have just ordered a fan oven from John Lewis. it is ridiculously cheap, and I have a strong feeling that the order will be cancelled. (Bosch HBN531E2B for £109 after allowing for cashback, in case...
34
34

How to find out what the source of my household water is?
Is it possible / feasible to track back from a water main to the original source of the water? I live in an area where there is some river extraction, some boreholes and some supplied from distant...
3
3

ebac 2650 spillage
Well, the reviews mentioned possible problems with the ebac 2650 float swit ch. I just had a spillage. The tank was basically full to the brim, and I a m not sure if the float switch was about to...
8
8

'Egg box' mattress topper. Sources?
Bit OT perhaps... Have used a 2 inch [ish] egg box mattress topper for years - great things. Might only last 12 months but they're cheap. Unfortunately the shop I used has closed, I tried twice but...
4
4

Latest Progress video from those folks restoring Bluebird
The BBC showed a documentary of it being discovered and recovered back in 2000. Sadly, if you didn't see it then, they won't let you see it now. Nobody knows why not. For the story behind the youtube...

OT: Recommendation for Linux for old (2008) low-spec ex-Windows machine
Can anyone recommend a Linux that will work reasonably on an old (2008) former WindowsXP machine (AMD Sempron LE-1150 processor, not sure how much memory at the moment, Foxconn K8M890-8237A...
9
9

Bow saw blade length
I've got an old bow saw which I use for tree pruning which must be 30 years old and still on the original rusty old blade. It actually cuts pretty well on smaller branches but it's a bit of a pain on...
23
23

Stripping paint from aluminium
I have some panels to re-spray from a machine tool and they need taking back to bare metal as a previous owner has made a mess of a brush paint job in an unknown paint type. Most are steel, but one...
13
13

RE: ADSL wireless router
As a follow-up, after my tp-link ADSL wireless router (TD-W8961ND) failed I had replaced it with a netgear router (DGN2200). The netgear one was hopel ess - kept losing connection and when it did it...
1
1

Thunderbird reply issue >79 characters
If I click reply on any post (even one I sent) I now get error ... text is longer than 79 characters and fails to send. If I put in some line breaks or delete long lines it works. Never had this...
27
27