Subject Author Posted Replies

Bandits at 12 O'clock
They're early this year. About 50 geese flying in formation and honking like mad have just passed over my house heading for the RSPB reserve on the flood plain just to the South. They usually wait...
6
6

Vax Dual V Total Home carpet washer
I have a Vax Dual V Total Home carpet washer and the hose isnt working. The water plus solution goes from the water tank straight into the used tank a dnothing is I have a Vax Dual V Total Home carpet...
4
4

OT-maybe Fire Alarm Control Panel relay outputs
So, a typical fire alarm control panel (I've looked at several) has various inputs and outputs. Usually there are two outputs from on-board relays that indicate ALARM or FAULT. They are described as...
3
3

How to connect a 6mm copper pipe to a tank
I want to create a little hydraulic fluid reservoir (for steering on my boat, not brakes or anything like that) which will connect into a 6mm copper pipe. I can find 6mm compression Tees, elbows etc,...
22
22

Drilling metal - protecting from rust
I need to drill a few holes for self tapping screws through painted metal on my van. Some are into an enclosed cavity. What's the best way to protect the drilled metal from rust?
6
6

Tip
I needed to cut the same shape out of 12mm ply, many times. I cut some pieces of play that were bigger than the shape I wanted, with the top one having an outline of the desired shape. I glued a stack...
1
1

Thermal Imaging Cameras
With ever increasing fuel costs, I'm wondering whether a thermal imaging camera would be a useful thing to have in order to detect parts of the house which would benefit from more insulation. Many of...
28
28

Any guesses at the time to meet up?
Normally we meet up at 6.10am to go to work but he wants to go to work 30 minutes earlier tomorrow so he can leave work 30 minutes earlier to get home for an appointment. I am happy to do that - but...
28
28

cool want one
we fitted flipping numberplates to our van on the front and the rear, altho it's a bit of fun its total legal in the UK but you have to use them on private land like car parks. which would come in...
23
23

Torx sizes
Have these ever changed? Like imperial to metric, etc? Needed to get the back off my laptop. Instructions said T5 Torx. But my driver marked T5, miles too big. So thinking they had made a mistake...
10
10

probably things will have blown over by then.....
Hello James As you may have heard in the news, the energy regulator, Ofgem is expected to announce the new price cap later this week. This means customers who are on standard variable tariffs will pay...
14
14

Clogged Ports Put Fall, Holiday Shipments in Doubt
Clogged Ports Put Fall, Holiday Shipments in Doubt By Costas Paris, Aug. 17, 2022, WSJ In the U.K., some 1,900 dockworkers at Felixstowe, the country’s biggest port, plan to strike Aug. 21-29 in...

Lifting manhole cover
Whenever our cesspit has needed emptying, the cast iron manhole cover has been lifted by levering a screwdriver underneath it. This method eventually went wrong last time and the cover ended up...
18
18

intermittent sounder
I need a sounder of some sort that will sound briefly once every few minutes. It's to remind a van driver that he has the inverter turned on. 12V.
19
19

Richter or Merkel ? (2023 Update)
In the film San Andreas, do we use the Richter scale or the Merkel scale to measure earthquakes? We should remember this information, after all, Americans don't make films for nothing, films are also...
2
2