150 for new CH pump ??

Page 1 of 2
We need a new CH pump as ours has started to leak to earth and trips out the RCD. The pump is postioned at the base of the boiler and looks like a bitch to get to and work on so I've asked a plumber to quote. He reckons the whole job will cost 150, he says he'll have to drain the system so I'm guessing a couple of hours all in - is this a reasonable price.
On a second point, I also asked him about a new boiler. He said we couldn't get a direct replacement ie kitchen wall mounted conventional, that has an open flue through roof. His thoughts were we would either have to have a floor standing model, or if wall mounted it would have to be relocated to an easy outside access wall as they are all balanced flue these days. (he did mention fan assisted but also said this would be expensive) Does this sound right ??
Cheers
Jim

No, Keston make the Celsius. This has two 2 1/2" plastic drain pipes for the flue. So one can run up the existing flue pipe, the other can draw in air from any convenient wall location. The flues can go very long lengths. Depending on he size of the existing flue pipe. Many boilers may have the balanced flue pipe extended up this pipe to the outside air, or just replace it with a new concentric flue pipe. A new sealed boiler can be fitted where the existing one is using the same flue route.

You don't say where you are, but for the SE of England I'd say it was ok - the pump will cost about 50 quid, and it's one of those jobs which may either be dead easy or a pig.
--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

That's assuming the gate valves still work - which is often not the case. And mine had to be cut off - they were corroded.
Draining down is easy, but re-filling can be a problem with airlocks, and bleeding the rads takes a fair while.
2 hours is generous if it all goes according to plan, but not if there are snags. And then there's travelling time.
--
*Why isn't there a special name for the back of your knee?

To be fair though that's because you've got the boiler in your attic! If it were downstairs more of the air would end up in upstairs rads instead.

You always put an auto air vent at the highest point.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

To stop the hedgehogs escaping.

Can I take it a bit of sarcasm has creeped in here?!?
If not, then I'm afraid I must agree with IMM here. (Shock horror!) An auto air vent at the highest point of a sealed pressurised system is an excellent idea. It makes single person filling a doddle.
Christian.
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:43:20 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Me? Never ;-)

That's a slippery slope :-)

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

A slope into dynamic logical thinking.

So you agree it is a good thing to stop the hedgehogs escaping.

Psychodynamic therapy you mean.

spins?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

mike r

<G!>
Hmmm ... wonder if inhibitor is toxic or can you eat the carrot afterwards? :-)

Yes; Yes,
mike r

its reasonable and it sounds like he's available to turn up and do the job!!.
After all,you;d pay a solivitor this amount just to right a letter..
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 08:55:24 +0000, tarquinlinbin

I had a letter written by a solicitor a few weeks ago - cost was 30.
However whether that was because I was "a pal" in the business breakfast club I am a member of I don't know. I was surprised it was so low it has to be said.
PoP
-----
My published email address probably won't work. If you need to contact me please submit your comments via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk
I apologise for the additional effort, however the level of unsolicited email I receive makes it impossible to advertise my real email address!

Personally I wouldn't bother with a solicitor if I had a letter that was upside down.
Bill
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:02:15 +0000, Bill Gardener wrote:

No, isn't that when they wright a letter? 8-)
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:33:57 +0000, "Ed Sirett"

joe