15 amp spur (I think)

Hi,

just checking out the electrics.

There is a 15 amp fuse for power in the kitchen. The note on the inside of the fuse box cover says "fan and double socket" but there seem to be three twin sockets off this fuse. I assume it is a spur not a ring, but haven't been able to confirm this yet.

How many twin 13amp sockets can you run off a 15 amp fuse?

The rest seems fine - 30 amp fuses for power, 5 amp fuses for lights, 15 amp fuse dedicated to immersion heater.

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

As many as you like, but your total load is limited to 13A and it's not a standard circuit. Only suitable for use where the expected load is not more than 15A.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Correct name would be radial if it starts at the consumer unit. A spur comes off a ring.

Not even one if fully loaded?

This arrangement should be safe, but given the kitchen is usually the most power hungry part of the house not very convenient. You'd have to be careful not to use many appliances at the same time or the fuse will blow. Does it look difficult to extend this radial back to the CU and turn it into a ring? And perhaps change the CU into a modern split load type with RCD and MCBs rather than fuses?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks.

The old style fuse box appears to be protected by a newer RCD which I guess is a compromise but an improvement.

We are about to gut and redo the kitchen, which will entail an electrician, so would be a good time to upgrade the CU. New kitchen would have 13 amp ring, of course.

Fortunately we are not using most of the sockets most of the time- one for the fridge, one for the combination microwave, a toaster (very rarely used) and a kettle.

Oops! That makes 4 double sockets; however the fourth one doesn't have anything plugged in, and two more have only one socket in use, so that is four plugs in total.

When we start redoing stuff our electrician will of course safety test everything and fix anything which is dodgy.

Just prompted to raise a question now because I haven't seen a kitchen running off a 15 amp fuse before.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Depending on size some have two.

That explains why you've probably got away with it. Things like washing machines, driers and dishwashers can use a lot of current for a short while when heating the water, etc.

Certainly a bit restrictive these days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)