Subject Author Posted Replies

Remote content (pictures) in emails [OT in uk.d-i-y]
I receive regular emails from various UK companies, containing details of their latest offers - Aldi, Lidl, Screwfix, Maplin, etc. These invariably contain pictures as remote content. My email client...
24
24

Removing 10mm from timber in situ
I have a doorway which was 23" wide. By removing the decorative wood I've exposed two hefty uprights, 6-1/4" x 2-1/2" (they built well long ago), and the doorway width is now 608mm. which doesn't...
37
37

New Vaillant boiler problems
I returned to Usenet too late to see more than the tail end of the 'New Boiler - controls' thread and I lack the nous to seek out the earlier part on-line so my apologies if any of that covers my...
14
14

Sunvic RF thermostat
Central heating is tarting about, problem seems to be the wireless thermostat. I've read the instructions! And re installed the stat, but it's still tarting about. Is this more likely to be the stat...
6
6

Damaged USB hard drive
I use a little Toshiba Netbook most of the time, with an external USB 2.5 inch Toshiba hard drive, which was perfect until I dropped the drive, which no longer works. The Netbook tells me my USB...
30
30

OT Three Gorge sDam.
5
5

Start of the power cuts?
Three power outages last night - West Bridgeford area of Nottingham. And only 7 miles from Ratcliffe power station tut tut (I know it doesn't work like that) :-)
15
15

OT - need and inkjet photo printer
Want to get a printer for printing out photos. (we have a colour laser for general printing) We normally get any photos we want printed out done by mail order in or one of the supermarket automatic...
20
20

recommendations for gutter guards
Or ones to avoid ? Don't know if its global warming ( :-0 ) but Ive just had to clean the gutters of leaves for the third time in as many weeks so it may be time to get some sort of gutter guard....
17
17

WC Flexible Pan Connectors
Hi all, I find myself in a situation where I may have to resort to using a flexible pan connector to hook up my new loo. Trouble is, I've always regarded "flexible solutions" as 'not proper plumbing'...
8
8

repairing jewellry
Hello, SWMBO has a necklace with "pretty bits" attached and one of the links holding one of the bits has broken. I was wondering how best to repair this? The links are too small to easily measure...
6
6

suppliers of solid core cable low gauge
Hello, I am looking for a solid, single core, cable, a few millimetres in diameter, perhaps 2 mm to 4mm? It is for a toy. The diameter is not too critical but I looked at tables and see that 8 SWG and...
19
19

Obscure heating system fault.
We were welcomed back from holiday by a cold house and defrosting freezer! Put early evening clockwise travel on the M25 into perspective. Thank heavens for log burners:-) Initial investigation found...
13
13

Bending spectacles
Got some new reading and distance specs. recently. The reading ones are OK as the frames are metal, but I need to 'adjust' the distance ones as my ears are not level by about 5mm (having one that's...
24
24

Toppy: Intermittent picture breakup and 'Signal lost on tuner 1'?
Hi all, A while ago I started suffering highly untypical randomness on my trusty Topfield PVR 5800 STB. Replacing most of the caps in the PSU seemed to fix it. ;-) Now (a few months later) it's...
29
29