Subject Author Posted Replies

Logs..... | How can I cut the cost of kiln dried firewood down
Is it me or have logs got expensive? I bought 6 bulk bags last year and we didn't even pay 300 quid all in... This year its £135 a bag so buying the same quantity this year is £800! got any...
23
23

Recommendations for oscillating multi-tool
As the title really. As I'm getting older and more knackered I'm doing less and less DIY but still keeping my hand in, especially as we'll be moving to a new house soonish. I need (well, ok then, I...
24
24

OT Python help?
Having seen the question about avahi, and all the knowledgeable replies, would it be reasonable to ask about something bothering me with Python?
27
27

Smoke Detectors/Fire Alarms - linked pair of FireAnglel WST630
Gentlemen, I currently have a linked pair of FireAnglel WST630 which seem to become unlinked from time to time and then bleep away untill reset. Any suggestions for replacements? Dave
5
5

Guttering Question
Hi. This is something I know zero about so I hope someone can help. There was some stormy weather a while back and a downpipe that was clipped to the wall was torn off. It seems to be 110mm diameter...
7
7

avahi-daemon - where?
Where will I find the avahi-daemon in Linux Mint? More generally, is there a way in Linux to do a disk-wide search for something? Under Linux, my app crashes as soon as I try to print to a network...
18
18

OT: UTI Precipitated Psychosis
Gentlemen, The best place to get health advice is of course, uk.d-i-y, so here goes... We all know that wimmin have a 'design defect' that makes them more prone to UTIs than men (assuming they don't...
6
6

Downside of track saws
I have been using a track (or plunge) saw recently for the first time. It is great but I cannot cut a piece of material from end to end because of the clamps fixing the track and the work to the...
7
7

Product Recall: Bostik Aluminium Solar Protector
"The product may present a risk of injuries due to excess gassing created within the tin, leading to increased pressure & popping of lids which can cause the material to land on consumers." "If you...
7
7

Return to Imperial units consultation - are we wasting money on returning to imperial units
Some idiot on the last government (there are so many of them I can't remember which) decided to try to grab a few votes by forcing the government to issue a consultation on a return to imperial units...
110
110

Burning Paper as alternative to shredder. Other ways to securely destroy documents
I have recently changed banks (using the SWITCH system, completely painless) and have statements/correspondence going back to 2004 with the old bank. It's a stack 12" to 15" high. It would kill my...
37
37

Annual running cost of a panel full of RCBO's + Hinkley B Strike price
With the price of leccy soon to go up to over 45p/KwH, how much will it cost to power a board with, say 10 RCBO's now ?. Someone worked this out before, but that was when leccy was 15p/KwH. PS The...
1
1

Turning radiator off/down - no thermostat valve
We have two radiators in the house that do not have temperature controls (ie knob with numbers on it). One is in the bathroom and the other in the hall. Combo boiler provides the heating. The hall...
48
48

OT? - or on topic for 2022?
<>Are you feeling hungry, punk? Cheers Dave R Soylent Green - Wikipedia Soylent Green - Wikipedia
1
1

OT: How to recognise a Nasty Party leadership hustings.
Here are a few telltale signs. 1. On the stage you'll see a pair of inept and untrustworthy candidates: a vile, uncaring harridan and a super rich posh boy utterly out of touch with anyone outside his...
29
29