Subject Author Posted Replies

Window frame seals on uvpc double glazing
They're not very good on our windows. I mean the seal on the opening frames where they close against the fixed frame. They're thin quite hard black strips. Is it possible to replace them and where...
5
5

VW van tow hitch
I got dragged out, this morning, to tow a new VW van out of our allotment field. Nothing strange there but the owner spent ages trying to screw the towing eye through his front bumper and into the...
8
8

Totally OT
Would anyone with HSBC knowledge, know whereabouts in Coventry is the location of their back office operations for the International Banking Centre?
2
2

Corner toilet installation experience
I have just completed a corner toilet installation, and thought my experience my help future DIYers. Given the size and shape of the toilet room, I decided that a corner toilet would provide the most...
2
2

warm white led yellow fringe
I now have 3 types of LED, all "warm white" - linear under cabinet lights, 5W with 5 discrete leds, and 5W COB leds. I have noticed they all produce a yellow fringe, which is especially visible when...
6
6

I'm looking for that funny speed bump video
There is a video somewhere on the net, where the bump springs up and launches the car into the air, anyone have the URL please?
2
2

OT (but no more than the usual):- streaming hd movies from hudl to tv - wirelessly?
There is a wireless HDMI standard using WiFi - Miracast - which quite a few TVs support now. However, if my android tablet is anything to go by, the android implementation is pretty pants.
6
6

Somewhat OT - Electric toaster slot size
My mum had one of those years ago, in the 1970s I would guess. I remember it on the wall, with a button near the bottom. I'm sure I saw them in friend's houses too. In my mind it went with those...
50
50

Water softener and shower rail corrosion
New bathroom two years ago with new shower. Water softener fitted at the same time. This morning an end stop covering the screw hole where the bottom of the shower rail is screwed to the wall just...
6
6

Neff induction hob
OK - we got this fitted yesterday. Now: the instructions indicate a method to alter the default setting the hob has for limiting the input current. You can supposedly configure it to limit that to 13,...
2
2

Bathroom Extractor Fan
Are there any rules (legal and practical) that govern the location of bathroom extractor fans? Reason I ask is that my bathroom has an existing hole about 1.5m from the floor. Presumably where a...
8
8

Peltier Coolers
Need a couple of chunky peltier coolers, one around 120 W another above 60 W. Recommended are 12709 and 12710, plenty of suppliers on Amazon/eBay but they all seem to be Far East based. CPC etc have...
17
17

isolation switch
Should an extractor fan in a kitchen be fitted with an isolation switch? I've come across one which seems to be wired dirwetly from the power ring main. I'm unhappy.
24
24

3 phase heater RCD tripping
... and the rest are lying about it.
13
13

powered backdraught damper
Just fitted the bathroom extractor - vent in ceiling, fan in loft, with a h umidistat and all is good. I have two backdraught dampers, a gravity one in the vertical section and a sprung one in the...
5
5