Subject Author Posted Replies

Anyone know what this tool is used for?
The only clues are the guy it came from was an Electrician and Millwright with a multitude of other tickets as well as an entrepreneur.
20
20

Tree Stump Killers
Gentlemen, Has anyone used one of those chemical (or biological) tree stump dissolving preparations to remove a stubborn, semi-rotten, broken-off fence post stump and if so, how long did it take to...
9
9

Wall-mounted toilet frames.
I have been looking at toilet frames. They all seem to bear weight on the floor. This is just what I don't want to do, for several reasons. Does any one know of one designed to take its weight (and...
20
20

B&Q bathroom equipment
I've resolved to "do up" our two bathrooms in 2015. This will not entail "creating a whole new look" - I'll redecorate, possibly re-tile, and I'll replace the rather ancient basins that we have. As a...
15
15

Washing machine with workshop manual.
I think I am going to be forced to buy a new washing machine. Are there any where you can download the equivalent of the workshop manual so I can work out why it may not be working properly? What I...
13
13

Continental Sockets
Staying in a hotel recently - pulling a plug out was in danger of pulling the socket out of the wall. Are they all poor in this respect or are our adaptors perhaps a bit tight?
13
13

Practical Electrical Wiring and Contracting
Everything from "How Electricity Works" to "Repair Work" and "Wiring Industrial Apparatus" - Mr LC Greenwood's splendid 384 page book covers the lot. Some of it may not be completely up to date - it...
6
6

Temperature/pressure relief valves - how do they work?
Our boat calorifier (silly boat name for a hot water cylinder) has a temperature and pressure relief valve. I can understand the pressure relief valve, it's simply a spring loaded thing that opens...
5
5

Slow leak in CH/DHW system
Vaillant Thermocompact VU GB 226E condensing boiler 15 years old, propane; sealed S-plan CH and DHW system (i.e. no header tank). Single story bungalow, CH pipes in the roof space with droppers down...
13
13

advice on remaking a leaking 15mm yorkshire fitting
Hi all we have had a minor plumbing drama here tonight - water dripping from the kitchen ceiling etc. I have traced it to the plumbing to the upstairs washing basin - the 15mm pipe to the hot water...
21
21

Yet another Win7 Issue !!!
A few weeks back you may recall I had issues when I exchanged hard disks between two pretty well identical legally licenced Win7 machines as a diagnostic aid. (Compaq / HP SFF DC7600's) They then...
6
6

Can you use an MCB on DC?
I have an old motorbike which blows a 20A fuse about once a year - no obvious fault, just replace the fuse and it's good for another year. Instead of keeping a stock of spare fuses in my jacket...
12
12

Damn
I've found the shed key, but now my baccy tin of assorted plugtop fuses has gone missing. And I'd just bought some more 3A ones. Old age sucks.
53
53

Another win 7 question...
I am coming to actually be annoyed with the search/start button and the loss of a normal file finder. Just what do i put in the search to just search all folders for a fragment of a file name and have...
13
13

A simple Win7 question.
The question is simple but I'm b*****ed if I can find the answer. The time/date on my laptop (right hand bottom corner) has decided to add the day. It used to be:- 13.05 20/12/2014 now:- 13.05...