Subject Author Posted Replies

Drilling metal - protecting from rust
I need to drill a few holes for self tapping screws through painted metal on my van. Some are into an enclosed cavity. What's the best way to protect the drilled metal from rust?
6
6

Tip
I needed to cut the same shape out of 12mm ply, many times. I cut some pieces of play that were bigger than the shape I wanted, with the top one having an outline of the desired shape. I glued a stack...
1
1

Thermal Imaging Cameras
With ever increasing fuel costs, I'm wondering whether a thermal imaging camera would be a useful thing to have in order to detect parts of the house which would benefit from more insulation. Many of...
28
28

Any guesses at the time to meet up?
Normally we meet up at 6.10am to go to work but he wants to go to work 30 minutes earlier tomorrow so he can leave work 30 minutes earlier to get home for an appointment. I am happy to do that - but...
28
28

cool want one
we fitted flipping numberplates to our van on the front and the rear, altho it's a bit of fun its total legal in the UK but you have to use them on private land like car parks. which would come in...
23
23

Torx sizes
Have these ever changed? Like imperial to metric, etc? Needed to get the back off my laptop. Instructions said T5 Torx. But my driver marked T5, miles too big. So thinking they had made a mistake...
10
10

probably things will have blown over by then.....
Hello James As you may have heard in the news, the energy regulator, Ofgem is expected to announce the new price cap later this week. This means customers who are on standard variable tariffs will pay...
14
14

Clogged Ports Put Fall, Holiday Shipments in Doubt
Clogged Ports Put Fall, Holiday Shipments in Doubt By Costas Paris, Aug. 17, 2022, WSJ In the U.K., some 1,900 dockworkers at Felixstowe, the country’s biggest port, plan to strike Aug. 21-29 in...

Lifting manhole cover
Whenever our cesspit has needed emptying, the cast iron manhole cover has been lifted by levering a screwdriver underneath it. This method eventually went wrong last time and the cover ended up...
18
18

intermittent sounder
I need a sounder of some sort that will sound briefly once every few minutes. It's to remind a van driver that he has the inverter turned on. 12V.
19
19

Richter or Merkel ? (2023 Update)
In the film San Andreas, do we use the Richter scale or the Merkel scale to measure earthquakes? We should remember this information, after all, Americans don't make films for nothing, films are also...
2
2

Hill Start Assist problem on 2019 i20 Prem NAV
The hill start assist holds the car for the full 3 to 4 seconds but as soon as the clutch is lifted by a very small distance in normal operation the brakes let go and the car runs back. The...

Back not unlocking
I have a double glazed back door with a multi turn lock. Sometimes, which seems be more regular, it will not unlock with the key. However I have unlocked the door now and I am about to disassemble the...
2
2

undertakers
what is it you catch only from having intercourse with a dead body?
19
19

Roof Insulation
To follow up on my post about sloping ceiling insulation and the possibility of using Celotex I bought one of these from Amazon (if Brian is listening it's a hand held infra red thermometer by...