Subject Author Posted Replies

Looking for permanently wired countdown timer
I'm looking for a countdown timer that I can use with permanently wired electric heaters (and similar). I want something like this but not a plug-in one:- Does anyone have any idea where I might find...
11
11

Cleaning Car Windscreen
I just wondered what people's favourite "solution" is for doing so. Hot soapy water, meths, proprietary ??????
37
37

OT: I hate ECO
I replaced my old Focus 1.6 with a newer model Focus 1.8. All specs showed about the same mpg. In reality the old car did around 40mpg in all conditions and better than that on motorway runs keeping...
100
100

Wickes power shower pump overun when shower turned off?
We installed a Wickes pump to power our over bath shower about 8 years ago, we had to renew the pump about 18 months ago. The pump has started to run on once the shower has been turned off, even...
3
3

Bellcast Bead upvc
Anyone installed one of these over a door/window? I'm wondering whether it's enough to cut the ends at 45 degs or whether you need 2 small mitred sections going back to the wall. Also, any tips on how...
3
3

Agent won't be doing this again...
Friend told me this story today. Four girls are living in a agency houseshare, and recently the winter cold has started to bite, one who has what is undoubtedly an uninsulated roof loft extension also...
35
35

Essentials power shower
I bought a new essentials thermostatic power shower last year which runs from my HWC. The old one packed up after 20 years. I am replacing my boiler with a combi boiler and removing the associated HWC...
2
2

Bathroom extractor fan/light pricing oddity
12 years ago, I bought a bathroom light/fan kit from B&Q for £29.99 Today - 12 years on - it seems impossible to get a similar item for less than £37. And that includes all the online outlets. B&Qs...
3
3

FM Radio interference
For the last month or so, whilst driving around town listening to Radio 4 on FM, I've been getting short bursts (3 - 4 seconds) of interference in the form of loud music; garage, hip hop, indie or...
39
39

Vacuum for Chimney Sweeping
I am considering purchasing equipment to sweep my (lined) chimney. In the past professional sweeps have failed to impress - eg. they have struggled remove the firebricks/baffle plate from my clearview...
23
23

Blocked shower waste
My shower tray has been draining slower and slower recently and finally blocked completely. It's a bungalow so on the ground floor, the grid in the tray is not the removable type as far as I can tell...
15
15

LED lamp brands, price and quality
I'm thinking of gradually replacing my halogen and CFL bulbs with LED as and when they die (halogen) or get too dim (CFL). Looking around the sheds, as you do, they stock brands like Diall (B&Q) and...
16
16

Plywood machining service wanted.
A bit OT, no longer DIY but... I want some 12mm plywood cut to size (about 300mm squareish) and drilled in about 10 places and with sanded edges. There are two different pieces, similar but not...
8
8

Swan Toaster
We've just bought a high lift 4 slice Swan toaster - based on reading an earlier thread about problems with 2 slice toasters, not accepting a full UK slice. Yep had this problem for years :-( Dropping...
22
22

IR TV repeater won't work with extension
Just bought myself an IR repeater gadget - the idea is that you can stash all your AV gear in a cupboard out of sight, and control it all via a single IR receiver stuck to the TV. I bought this model:...
5
5