13A / USB socket power drain?

repair

What you wrote doesn't say that. The subject of the first part is "broken plugs" not "microUSB leads" or "plugs on micro USB leads". So far my only microUSB failure has been a socket de-attaching from the board.

For micro or mini USB I'd agree they are rather too small for hand soldering. Bog standard USB plugs on the other hand would be POP, if you could get 'em.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes it did with the quoting that got deleted.

The subject of the first part is

My comments were just about micro USB

The design approach wont always be seen, most obviously when the device is dropped and that bit of the device takes most the impact force, with a lead plugged into the micro USB socket.

Still makes a lot more sense to just buy a new lead for 50p.

Which is what I have done when the bog standard USB socket that I plug charging cables and USB sticks into became unreliable because there wasn't enough spring in the contacts anymore. That was on the end of the USB extension that I use to make it more convenient to get at that socket than on the PC itself.

Reply to
Hanny Z

I've bought them from Maplin in the past, at least the A plug. However, I more often buy a cable with one molded on, cutting off the other end if necessary. I think they're not easily available because the USB spec they must not be made available. The Maplin ones look like they're designed to be molded into a lump of rubber after making the electrical connections, i.e. they're just the guts of the plug, although they are usable just by themselves.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel