13A / USB socket power drain?

It makes quite a nice bang if it has PoE on that socket and they don't have proper current limiting.

Reply to
dennis

Don't think I've ever come across a PoE switch that provides power without first negotiating how much.

Reply to
Richard Conway

You can also get "nice bang" from Figure of 8 mains connector pushed into an XLR 3 pin audio plug.

Reply to
charles

How does it negotiate without powering the attached device?

Reply to
dennis

I realised that after I'd hit send. D'oh!

Reply to
Richard Conway

There were some crappy "PoE" supplies that followed no particular standard and just shoved power over a pair of pairs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'm going to guess that it supplies minimum power to allow the client PoE chip to power up (without the rest of the device) and that does the negotiation. Think of a TV on standby and the remote still works.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You can also harvest power from data - which it actually does I don't know.

Reply to
tabbypurr

You might want to think through the implications of that on a CSMA-CD network...

Reply to
John Rumm

Ethernet using* CSMA/CD is essentially non-existent today.

[*] 10/100Base-T cards are still capable of it in case they find themselves plugged into a hub, rather than switch.
Reply to
Andy Burns

:-)

Reminds me of the physicists where I used to work who though it was OK to extend the thinnet segment with 50 metres or so of their very thin

50 ohm signal cable.

Hey, it's 50 ohms, innit?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Get loads of broken microUSB sockets at repair events. The leverage you can generate with the plug, combined with a surface mounted socket, is just a recipe for disaster. With heavier items such as tablets, dropping them with the microUSB plugged in is also a cause of breakage.

Sockets also wear - eventually one of the metal leaves comes away from the centre support.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And to a degree, it works too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But you never see the much higher number of broken plugs at repair events, because they are so easy and cheap to replace, as they were designed to be.

Sure, no design can ever be perfect in that area and still be affordable to produce and be viable in very small devices like phones.

But long after the plug has been replaced very cheaply multiple times.

I prefer the Apple lightning connector myself, but it has the other approach, you are more likely to see the socket that is much harder and more expensive to replace be what needs to be replaced. And easier to damage it by using cheap chinese cables that have the plug too thick too.

Reply to
Hanny Z

I have never replaced a plug - has anyone?

The Apple maglock plug was probably the best in terms of being bomb proof for power at least.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I've had a couple of USB thumb drives with the type A plug at repair events, with the plug snapped off due to dropping laptop with it plugged in. One drive held the only copy of someone's thesis, and we managed to solder it back together well enough to read the data off. Some similar storey for the other one too.

Yes. Apple are extremely protective of the associated patents.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Unless they are someone else's.

Reply to
Bob Eager

"easy and cheap to replace" you mean bin the lead, buy a new one. I've yet to find a source of wireable microUSB plugs, indeed finding any wireable USB plug is pretty much impossible.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, that's the way the micro USB system was designed.

Because it makes a lot more sense to buy a chinese made lead for 50p.

Reply to
Hanny Z

802.3af or 802.3at won't. "Passive" does and those cheap stepping LED network testers don't like 12 V passive "PoE" either... 802.3at or .af PSE detects the precense of a PD on a cable by looking for signature resistance of 19 to 26.5 K ohms across the powered pairs, to do this it uses a voltage pulse between 2.7 and 10.1 V. If the PSE finds this signature resistance it uses a slightly higher voltage pulse to determine the PD power class before finally applying

powered the PD must draw 5 - 10 mA for at least 60 ms and no more than 400 ms between these draws. ie half a second after a PD is unplugged or switch off (if it has a switch!) the power is removed.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice