13A Socket outlets - SP or DP?

In article , you say...

There is, in fact, a very sound reason for switching the TV set off first.

Many sets used the 'off' switch action to force the brightness to maximum, thus discharging the EHT reservoir rapidly before the scan collapsed completely.

Failing to use the set's own switch resulted in the dreaded switch-off spot which would ultimately cause a phosphor burn.

Normally I would not be in favour of going to all the trouble of switching off the socket and unplugging the set but I recall one occasion when it might have saved a set from destruction.

Following a thunderstorm in which the aerial was struck by lightning, two blackened holes had been drilled through the paxolin panel holding the aerial isolation components (a shorter distance than through the components themselves!), the mains switch contacts had been welded together and the lightning had jumped from the 13A plug to the socket on the wall - over two feet away, according to the customer!

On the same night, about 2 miles away, another set was left plugged into the mains. In this case, no trace of the aerial was ever found(!) the tuner unit in the TV was completely incinerated inside, the mains switch contacts were welded and the fuses in the consumer unit blown!

Fortunately the set was only a couple of years old and a replacement tuner was still available. In the case of the other set, it was too old for a replacement and would have had to be written off if it had sustained the same damage ...

The first set was a Bush TV53 and the second a Bush TV98, if anybody wants to attempt to date this!

Reply to
Terry Casey

It was a Corgi rule. It's not part of the Gas Regs. I don't know if it's something Gassafe also insist on.

It was because installers/maintainers might be temped to isolate the appliance by using the switch, but breaking the live only is not isolating the appliance.

You might argue a DP switch would be OK, but this cannot be easily confirmed by inspecting the socket, and gas installers are not expected to know such details.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They predate low power logic and even quartz crystal timing. These days they would probably set the time by themselves.

Reply to
dennis

Don't think you are. He's been dead for 40 odd years.

Both.

Is it an old set? Most recent ones don't have a true on/off switch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps one of the most handy features is the ability to record a programme when you're out. It would be a clever machine which can do that when unplugged.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He insisted the same was done with the radio too...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There might be some residual power draw I suppose. But when it's switched off, it's cold and dark, and nothing works.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I just have a cover over the socket marked 'Freezer'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Rubbish. 32kHz crystal watches date back to the same era as domestic VHS video recorders but the early ones were a bit clunky. The LED display hammered the battery in things like the Sinclair black watch 1975 but Seiko had working LCD display watches in the same time frame.

And from about 1980 there were standard CMOS watchdog timers that would run for ages on a 3v coin cell (though not fitted in PCs by default). By

1990 there were pin compatible cheap clones of the Motorola RTC.
Reply to
Martin Brown

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

The switch for my kitchen under-cupboard strip lights on one side is next to the switch for the freezer. A couple of times people have gone to turn off the lights, tried the freezer switch, seen it hasn't worked and then tried the correct switch. But do they think "I wonder what I just turned off by mistake?" Of course not - they leave the freezer switched off!

Reply to
Scion

Ours is just round a corner next to a light switch. Hence the cover.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That doesn't mean they were available at a sensible price to use in video recorders so many used mains derived clocks.

Hell the first video recorders didn't even have IR remotes.

Reply to
dennis

You cannot buy a SP switched fused connection unit (if that is what you are referring to). They do not exist.

Reply to
ARW

I'm confused as well, Screwfix sell a SP fused spur unit and a SP 13A socket outlet. What are we discussing?

Reply to
Capitol

most did, it was only those made by Phillips didn't. With mine, I was able to add an internal battery.

Reply to
charles

both - though the thread started out about SP and DP switched sockets.

Are you sure that Screfix sell SP FCU's - they a have a variety some labelled DP, some not, but I can't see any that say single pole.

And I've never come across one (well not of recent vintage anyway)

Reply to
Chris French

They were valve too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They certainly existed once. But I too thought they were all DP now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree about Screwfix, the product is unspecified. The two SFCU units I fitted last year possibly came from Toolstation and were SP.

Reply to
Capitol

Just rechecked, 2 were old stock single pole and 2 new. The new ones were 2 pole.

Reply to
Capitol