13A Floor sockets

Can anyone share experiences or views regarding the use of 13A floor sockets?

I'm planning the location of (twin) 13A sockets in my kitchen and find that there will be a long area where there is no suitable wall space for a socket.

Basically it will mean that a 4m section of wall will be without sockets. The reason being that the sink is towards one end of surface and the hob towards the other. There is a safe distance between them to allow fitment of a socket below a window sill. However the height of the worksurface under the window means that although there is just enough space to fit the socket, the cable from any plug would have to be bent at a fierce angle.

So, I was wondering if there are any reasons why I shouldn't fit a floor socket into the window sill.

I once temporarily fitted a surface mounted switched socket on the underside of a kitchen surface for a dishwasher - the switch jammed!

I presume that there are sockets specifically designed for floor mounting?

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:22:53 +0100, Richard Savage strung together this:

More than likely a crap socket, nothing to do with its mounting orientation.

No, any socket can be floor mounted, at any angle, and any way up. If you buy cheap ones they'll stop working wherever you fit them.

Reply to
Lurch

Thank you

As a follow up: can I get sockets with lift up covers that will be suitable for horizonatl mounting? I'm not thinking of weatherproof exterior sockets, just something that will be slightly resistant to everyday kitchen dirt falling into the socket.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Yes,

Reply to
Grunff

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:47:29 +0100, Richard Savage strung together this:

Something like this.

They do singles as well, and in (yuck) brass.

Reply to
Lurch

Try MK, they do a triangle crossection trunking intended for worktop (lab) mounting. If you have them totaly horizontal, what happens when the bleach / wash down water enters? You may also want to consider a 30ma RCCB?

Reply to
James Salisbury

You can also get these:-

John Rumm

Like, over watering the plants on the window sill, or any one of a number of reasons you could end up with water on the window sill. Not a good idea in my opinion.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thank you. I have wondered about the triangular trunking type of socket. But, I don't want to use one because (a) it will be the only one in the kitchen (*) and (b) I can't face the thought of trying to clean in the corners where it meets the wall.

(*) I know that the floor socket mounted in the window sill will be the only one in the kitchen but as I expect it to have only intermittant use I think it will not be too obtrusive.

The kitchen ring is fed from an, admittedly 80mA, RCD.

I suppose that I could mount the socket(s) on the right hand side of the window cut out, i.e. vertically rather than horizontally, that would reduce the ingress of Mr Muscle.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

This is the type that I have considered, both for surface-top and under-cupboard mounting. They have been discounted from the latter position because I will not be able to see them without bending down (a lot!)

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

One of the hidden advantages that I have not shared with SWTSMBO is that the sill will become an unsuitable location for pot plants ;-)

It is, after all, my kitchen!!

Having said that, one of the reasons for posing this question, and others, is that those who reply are not distracted by having thought about what I want to do with my kitchen - i.e. a fresh approach.

In all probability I will not now fit a horizontall sill-mounted socket.

Rgds

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:39:30 +0100, Richard Savage strung together this:

Are you sure? I didn't think you could get 80mA, or at least I have never heard of one or come across one.

Reply to
Lurch

This will make the people that believe in lining up screw slots very irritated I suspect.

Mount the socket at right angles.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

"Richard Savage" wrote | Having said that, one of the reasons for posing this question, and | others, is that those who reply are not distracted by having thought | about what I want to do with my kitchen - i.e. a fresh approach. | In all probability I will not now fit a horizontall sill-mounted socket.

In one school domestic science room I saw, which had island tables, the sockets were on conduit drops from the ceiling. The conduit at the ceiling looked like it had a sort of ball and socket joint rather than a rigid joint, to allow for movement in the drop section without bringing the whole thing down.

What are you doing for lighting and storage over that section of worktop? You could suspend a grid for hanging small utensils from, on chains, and have a socket mounted on that, just above eye level.

Alternatively a slimline socket mounted on a window mullion?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Ian Stirling" wrote | > However the height of the worksurface under the window means | > that although there is just enough space to fit the socket, | > the cable from any plug would have to be bent at a fierce | > angle. | This will make the people that believe in lining up screw slots | very irritated I suspect. | Mount the socket at right angles.

That probably means the screws on the faceplate will be top and bottom, not side and side :-)

A horizontally screwed faceplate with a circular insert with the socket rotated 45deg is the neatest solution, especially if all the sockets in the kitchen are the same style. Such can be easily fabricated at home with parts from the RS catalogue, a small metalworking and finishing workshop and the loan of a BS-approved test laboratory from a friendly neighbour :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:45:55 +0100, Richard Savage strung together this:

I've just had a thought, could you not mount a scket on the window reveal? Just checking mine here and I could just about squeeze a double in but you could get a single in at either side easily.

Reply to
Lurch

My guess is that it may be an 80A RCD, but doesn't state the actual trip current. Is there another marking on it, such as 0.03A or 0.1A?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Reply to
Richard Savage

That is what I was hoping someone might suggest. It was my second thought after discounting a sill mounted socket for the reasons of damp raised by others. I wanted to see if fitting the socket in the reveal was so off the wall ('scuse pun) that no one else would suggest it.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

In the area that the socket will need to be located there will be ceiling lights and nothing on the walls because of the window.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage